A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: a music thread. What are you listening to?

i loved their country album...but yeah, i guess i was never a fan. I checked out some previews of cucaracha on itunes...not really my bag anymore, but i can see they are getting more deeply layered musically.

mmm signature

^^ basically what he's listening to. Just got that Oh No vs. Now-Again (Japanese Promo) a week ago. Been in rotation like no other.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

^^ basically what he's listening to. Just got that Oh No vs. Now-Again (Japanese Promo) a week ago. Been in rotation like no other.
    How or where did you get that? Any other recommendations? I've been quite the music collector but recently I barely know what to get. I've actually been looking at some random japanese chick's playlists on last.fm to find new music to listen to...
    mmm signature

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN
    Nice! Thanks for the link.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

doItLikeThis
    Lovin' this tune since two years now:-

Logistics - The trip
    -Aditya

Listening to Lee "Scratch" Perry - Repentance

This guy is a machine. He has over 50 album releases.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

So what are you all listening to RIGHT now? and what is going through your current playlist?

I have been listening to The Lonely Island cd. Pretty funny. Worth at least 1 listen through.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

i just heard the ting tings "not my name"
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z View Post
    Listening to Lee "Scratch" Perry - Repentance

This guy is a machine. He has over 50 album releases.
    WTF are you doing listening to Scratch Perry!? That whole dub scene is deep - 50 albums to their credit isn't too far out of the norm for some of them.

Wait, are you saying he is just main stream crap or do you actually like him? He is just a wild man and his songs on that cd are pretty odd. You have better recommendations for that genre?

Naw dude. Scratch Perry is ****ing legendary - more or less a pioneer in reggae, dub, ska (yes, ska) and even soca - despite that being a Trini tradition.

Scratch Perry, King Tubby, Augustus Pablo (producer), Brigadier Jerry & Sister Nancy, I-Roy, U-Roy, Prince Far I... that right there probably is probably the backbone to dub and reggae (foundation) and about 200+ records alone - most obscure or now collected.

Dub is perhaps my all-time favorite genre, was raised on it among other genres. But it goes in and out of what's "mainstream" that I don't even try to explain it to people any longer - it'll go from nigh stereotypical reggae to chanting to damn near hard ska-ish to deeper reggae (roots) to dancehall, soca/salsa - it covers almost up to R&B and early hip-hop. I tend to go deeper into instrumental dub - King Tubby's domain basically ("Idler's Rest" is perhaps a perfect example of that genre) and some earlier dancehall by Brigadier Jerry - high energy, step/chant music. That would start in the mid-60's to late 70's. Dub after that isn't no longer "dub"... it's more lounge music than anything else.

Yeah... the Caribbean side of me pops out on this kind of music.

Well that is a nice list of things for me to melt my brain to now. I am actually liking this cd a lot but it is one of his newer ones from 2008. I would love to hear some of his OLD stuff from like the 60's and 70's. I might have to hit up some old cd shops when I am up in Burlington again and browse.

I hate to sound like a purist; however his newer stuff is almost "too" polished and not enough real instruments. A synth bass is not his trademark. Hell, synth horns or a weak horn section ain't his trademark either. The newer stuff, I hear the Casio keyboard and synth... and it bothers my ear because I heard him being backed by good musicians in the day.

The older stuff, I'd almost guess that you'd not like since it's almost "too" unpolished - dub was basically a good mistake. His older stuff is like a shot of Scotch. It'll burn, it'll bite, but it still remains smooth. To me, at least.

It's not for all. And I can live with that.

Yeah this cd seems very polished and very newage that has been run through a autotuner. I think I would like both for different reasons. Remember I used to be into the local punk scene- nothing can be more unpolished and **** sounding then that. I like the sound of raw stuff. I'll give it a try.

Listening to some stuff from "Bob Marley VS Lee Scratch Perry-(The Best of The Upsetter Years)" I actually haven't heard a lot of Marley before but always associated it with lame hippies on campus with their tie dyed shirts so never gave it a chance. This is actually pretty good. Also heard a little bit from "Dry Acid" which is a 68-69 release and while you're right it is very raw I like the unmastered feel to it.

doItLikeThis
    btw, few new tracks that me and my bro produced are uploaded on our myspace, check it www.myspace.com/bhraminn
    -Aditya

I wasn't really into the first track but the others are very good. Nice listen.

Bluetech - Prima Materia. Song: 7th Phase Dub.

Some of the better stuff in that genre I have heard in a while. Definitely added to my permanent rotation.