A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Design for T-shirts

Design for T-shirts

Hi,

I have done a Flash website for a client's client and they are contacting me today to obtain the design to make T-shirts with. Although I am flattered by it, should I just handover it or should I play it copyright. And I don't think I gave them originally the fla, it was quite a while ago.

Any thought or experience to share on this?

Thanks

Matters, honestly. Usually when my designs are requested for apparel, they tend to have either a flat fee in mind - or they're offering a lower flat fee with a bit of the residual... which I tend to never go for, sales aren't guaranteed usually.

They tend to have the process already in mind, I swear out of the last 10 shirts, 8 were delivered from Flash into AI - colors corrected to Pantone PMS colors there - then output into *.eps so they can use and scale if need be. But I've had a couple of digital press guys that took my images, knew the print out size and wanted the layers in either a *.psd, *.ai or even a *.pdf file. They took care of the usual issues - trapping, spot process, etc.

If anything, the best question is to ask if you'll get some credit anywhere on the garment, see what they're offering and then make your decision. Copyright claims are... usually a waste imho. But that's just me.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Thanks for the tips. Do you think I should keep an eye on the website in case they decide to go around me and still use the design without my consent?

Quote Originally Posted by ced--ced
    Thanks for the tips. Do you think I should keep an eye on the website in case they decide to go around me and still use the design without my consent?
    You could, you should. But I've seen my designs indirectly ripped off by other people in different countries - stopped my designs from being published in Agosto magazine in Japan once a few years ago because they were being claimed by a dude - but at the same time, I've had my stuff stolen because of client's inability to secure the imagery... but it hit me. They had already paid, I knew it was my design... but I just couldn't really get too upset.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Bottomline, get what you think its worth and let them be. I know it sounds crude but you don't want to get into a hassle with paperworks do ya?

I’ve never done this though and although I can quote my web work, how would you ask for this kind of work, using web design for printing? The design is a jungle done for www.goodiesgang.com.