A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Living in NYC

Living in NYC

I am interested in hearing everyones opinions about this. From the people who actually live there now or have in the past all the way to the people who have only visited it.

After this fall semester I am done with school and need to go out and find a "real" job and have nothing holding me anywhere really. I have been to NYC several times and have loved it every time. A bonus to this whole situation is that the gf also loves NYC and actually wants to live there later in life or even after this school year and finish her schooling there.

Now I know cost of living is insane and would most likely live on the outskirts of the actual city to save that way but what are the major pros and cons of living in a city like New York. So far the only thing I can think of is the freedom I have at my current place where my neighbors don't bother me and I live on a dirt road and can pretty much do whatever I want.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

NYC rocks. If you are going to live there, live as close to Manhattan as you can afford - this way you will be able to take advantage of all of the things that a city like that can offer.

Forget about saving anything and forget about any privacy you think you might have. Dirt road be gone.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

living with your girl sounds like a good idea now, its not. dont do it.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Well we will be tested with living together for 5 months in London. I think if we can survive that we can survive NYC.

Owning my car, gas, and monthly insurance will be a nice thing to get rid of

Do I hear some regrets in there Silver
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 06-05-2008 at 03:49 PM.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Well, London and New York city are quite different. Granted I live in one and have only spent a few weeks in the other, but still I think they're pretty different. London is cleaner for one thing. The transportation system shuts down at 12 a.m. or 12:30 a.m.. After that no more underground. If you have to get to the suburbs you have to take the night bus, and believe me when I tell you that's an experience.

But you're correct about the car bit. I love not having to own a car, insure it, park it, or repair it.

as long as you dont sign a lease, or can afford where you are going to live in nyc by yourself you should be fine. Dont make the same mistakes i made wannabe,
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I will take it all to heart Silver.

Thanks for the input jpnyc I wasn't comparing London to NYC at all. I just meant we will practically be living together and only have class 2-3 days a week. So I meant it will be a test of our relationship for those 5 months. But good info

Confucius say: "a wise husband is one who thinks twice, before saying nothing". You may not be married, but the principle still applies

Haha more good info. I am not trying to ginx it but this lady actually gets my humor and enjoys A LOT of the same things or at least understands them. So far so good. She is an actress so I can appreciate her talents and support her as well- unlike all the other lazy girls I dated

but back onto NYC

Well, odds are most apartments below 100th St. will be too expensive, but you have lots of options either above that in Manhattan, or just across the river in New Jersey, or Brooklyn/Queens. I would avoid the Bronx. Too far away from the action and too high a crime rate. Studio apartments in midtown are now going for 1500 to 2400 a month.

Queens will probably offer the best bang for the buck. Plenty of subways, etc. so you can enjoy Manhattan nightlife and still get home for the price of a token (so to speak). Manhattan is simply not going to be in your budget. Even north of 100th St, east or west is very pricey now, not to mention that the real estate brokers own that business and will hit you with a $2000-4000 fee for 'finding' you an apartment.

I would avoid NJ or Long Island onlly b/c it will limit your commuting home options. If you want to stay out past midnight, you will become a slave to the dreaded bus or train schedule. Like I said before, live in NY to enjoy NY, not to figure out how to make it onto your last bus. Some of my most memorable moments in NY happened well after midnight...many of them well after 4 a.m.

Living here is just indescribable. I flip on New York one, local news, and some lunatic is climbing up the side of the New York Times building. It's happening right now. The downside is that even the bizarre becomes commonplace here.

I miss NY1.

What's a good website to rent and buy property in New York?

My ladies best friend lives in Brooklyn for school and just got a new apartment and they had to wait a few days to move in so that the door could be replaced due to bullet holes.

Seems like a good cheap place to live to me

Quote Originally Posted by asheep_uk
    What's a good website to rent and buy property in New York?
    craigslist.org - good place to start.

this site/business was just launched by a friend of a friend, they'll find you apartments in NYC without you having to travel there.

don't know if it's any good or not:
    http://www.scouz.com/NewYork/Home.html