A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: dumb question about blogs

dumb question about blogs

i just setup a free wordpress blog the other day for the first time and was curious....how do i get it setup so its under one of my domains and not wordpress?
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

point your domain at it? did you do the free one that they give you on their server or did you download the install files and put it onto your own server?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

ah...i did the free one, but i have like nothing up there anyway. i did see where they had files to download but i didnt know what they were for.

so once i download those files i just need to drop them in a folder on my server?

will i still be able to manage the blog the same way i do like on the free site or will i have to do all of the coding myself?
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Wordpress is just a download, unzip, upload. Or if you want to be fancy, just do a Subversion checkout right to where it needs to be.

Then you'll just follow a simple set up, and whamm-o. It has almost the identical interface for the backend. No coding necessary unless you want to get into customizations and writing plugins and blah blah blah.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    It will work as long as your server supports PHP/MySQL. it's fairly simple to install.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

cool...i'll redo it and download the files this time.

is wordpress the best or most popular one or is blogger?

I think that it's mostly a matter of opinion. I prefer WordPress and it's used by lots of people. I also don't believe that Blogger allows you to host their software yourself so most do it yourself people use WordPress.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Lots of nice plugins available too.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

what type of plugins?

do any of you have a cool blog (design wise) or know of any that i can see?

i'm still kinda green to the whole concept. i literally have never really taken interest in it until yesterday.

"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Jason L. Wright