A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: TV shows

anyone catch the game of thrones premier?

Having read the books im really excited for this season, and the fact that the second season was greenlit today has me pretty pumped.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Gonna be a while before I get a chance to watch it but really want to.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    anyone catch the game of thrones premier?

Having read the books im really excited for this season, and the fact that the second season was greenlit today has me pretty pumped.
    I thought it was a great start.

D&D 2.0
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

yesterday, i had a chance to watch two of my fav series presently, 30 rock and community, running in two separate channels at the same time. community was on S2 and 30 rock S1. I must say 30 Rock won for me in terms of the number of laughs i had per minute. That show is witty to the core. what do you guys think

HEART- Hard Equations And Rational Thinking!!

I tried for the second time to get into The Wire since so many people seem to like it. I canceled it off Netflix after 5 episodes. I don't get it. Seems like bad acting, bad dialogue, no music score, slow plots and the unexplainable decision to not release it in 16:9 format.

Game of Thrones has taken a turn for the worse, imo. Do we really need to address gender politics in the age of dragons?

The wire is one of those shows where half the season is a VERY slow build up and then the second half is the payoff. It's a tough show to get into I will admit and even harder since each season has the same arc with introducing new characters and locations.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

So I should watch the rest of the season before deciding whether or not to give up on it?

I definitely would. At least give the first season a go till the end. Like I said it is a very slow character developing show but it's worth it when the season comes to an end.

The show is interesting too in that the first season introduces you to the main cops and the main drug dealers. Then each following season has a whole new location and set of characters to get to know around the city. but the story arc from the first season continues on throughout all the seasons.
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 05-29-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Ok. Re-added to Netflix. Thank you for the insight. I've been telling myself that it must get better at some point if so many like it. But, maybe I just can't get into crime shows...?

I don't really like crime shows either. I think the appeal of this show is the writing. The characters are very real. I think that may be what puts a lot of people off as well though- they're too real.

Agreed to this whole line of posts ^^^
    Give it one full season...then, if you're out, it's not for you. The same thing used to piss me off about that show. So f-ing slow...then it all comes together. Damages is like that too.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

I went through the same thing as you, FlashLackey. Although i think i made it through season one and gave up on season 2. I just couldn't get into it.

Fair enough. I'll watch the rest of season 1 to see if it pays off.

Maybe I'm spoiled. But, the decision to purposely not release it in widescreen format even though it was shot on and framed for it seems really dumb.

I don't think Season 1 or any of the other seasons were originally broadcast in 16:9...it was shot in HD, but in 4:3 ratio.
    http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Complete-.../dp/B0002ERXC2

For the same reason, you could complain about your "What's Happening" Season 3 Blu-Ray set.
    Damn you, Shirley Hemphill!
    Last edited by hanratty21; 06-02-2011 at 08:43 AM.

And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.

Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons."
    http://magazine.creativecow.net/arti...-hbos-the-wire

I know it doesn't make sense. But, it was shot on film and framed for 16:9. They chose 4:3 because it "feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie."

Dumb decision, imo.

Yep, they could have shot 16:9 with a 4:3 frame safe area and chosen to res-down with pan & scan any time they wanted. Can't go the other way. I can't comment on wether it hurts the show or not since I haven't seen it. I'll probably start streaming lots of shows I missed when I get internet.

Sounds to me like artistic impression, but so be it. I watched all 5 seasons and had a wide format tv the whole time...never had an issue. Whatever.

OK. So, you guys were right. The Wire definitely picks up in the later episodes. Thanks for talking me into watching more.

The biggest strength imo is that it seems like an authentic take on an investigation with all of the departments and positions involved.

I still have beef with it though. None of the characters seem conflicted. They don't struggle with any decisions and seem to be there just to move the plot along. As such it can feel pretty two-dimensional with no real subtext. At times, I would think "if I want to watch authentic police-work with no subtext, I can watch COPS."

That said, it drew me in enough to order Season 2.

On another note. Don't forget that the best show ever made for TV starts again soon: http://www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-bad

Girlfriend made me sit thru Ice Loves Coco last night. I nearly pissed myself. I don't know that there's more of a cartoonish couple on the planet.