A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help with tell target: target not found...base="?"

Hi, I'm new to Flash 5 and it's been a while since I used Flash 4. Here's the dilemna: I can't figure out why I cannot target a timeline from one mc, but I can from another. On my main timeline I have several movie clips, all named. 2 of these mc's (named girl and rep)have children (the child of 'girl' is 'left' and the child of 'rep' is 'right')Left and right are nearly identical, and left works successfully targeting mc's named photobg, grid and center on maintimeline, but right doesn't. Both left and right have an invisible button that when pressed, changes the position of several mc's on the main timeline. In this the case, the first command works (go to and play label "rep" on main timeline) but it can't find the mc's named photobg, grid, center on the maintimeline. The frames with these mc's extend to the end of the timeline, so I don't think that's the problem... Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Actions on the invisible button:

on (release) {
    tellTarget ("/") {
    gotoAndPlay ("rep");
    }
    tellTarget ("/photobg") {
    gotoAndPlay ("torep");
    }
    tellTarget ("../") {
    gotoAndPlay ("into");
    }
    tellTarget ("/grid") {
    gotoAndPlay ("greentoblue");
    }
    tellTarget ("/center") {
    gotoAndPlay ("greentoblue");
    }
    }

When I test the movie, and click on 'rep' the output box says:

Target not found: Target="/photobg" Base="?"
    Target not found: Target="/repmc" Base="?"
    Target not found: Target="/grid" Base="?"

I'm a hero like Robert De Niro
    Hello,

The error massage your getting is because flash can't find the targets you specified.I suggest you switch to flash 5 syntax cuz it doesn't like flash 4 syntax and I don't blame him.Try using _root.instanceName instead of /instance and _root.ParentClip.childClip instead of ../ and so on.

Hope it helps,

McMurphy

I agree with mc murphy but i must STRESSS name your instance...and remember this ( i was hung up those cant find target errors as well)
    if u put mc1 on the main timeline u need to name that instance right there in the main time line.... so in that first frame on that layer that u jsut put MC1 on ..u need to name it sso itll be _root.mc1instance and than u build from there

i was forgetting to name that first one and It was KILLING me