A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Must... have... Flash CS4....

They better not change how you draw in Flash. I can't stand AI. Today I just wanted to join two lines together. In Flash, you just click on the edge and drag onto the other one. In AI it's some sort of path joining BS. And it doesn't seem like you can make likes / edges curve with the drag of the mouse in AI like you can in Flash.

I probably need to get a few books to learn how to use the app, but why can't it be as intuitive as Flash?

they better change the way you draw in Flash... I hate Flash's drawing tools.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis F5
    They better not change how you draw in Flash. I can't stand AI. Today I just wanted to join two lines together. In Flash, you just click on the edge and drag onto the other one. In AI it's some sort of path joining BS. And it doesn't seem like you can make likes / edges curve with the drag of the mouse in AI like you can in Flash.

I probably need to get a few books to learn how to use the app, but why can't it be as intuitive as Flash?
    I think blood just shot from my eyes.
    What if you didn't want to join the lines and needed to drag one point on top of the next?

And it doesn't seem like you can make likes / edges curve with the drag of the mouse in AI like you can in Flash.
    Only if one of the points is a bezier (which can be converted with simple alt-click and drag) and it doesn't add points each time you do it.

I'll stop now.

If I didn't want to join the lines?... Then I'd put it on a new layer. And so far I have been able to make an 'S' like shape and a '^' shape with your suggestion, but I can't make the line curve (bow out like an arc) from clicking anywhere on the line and dragging away.

At the very least, if they do go for their way of drawing, offer the end user a choice of which drawing methods they use.

Dude, seriously. The drawing tools in Flash remind of those in CorelDRAW... version 2.5.

They're at version 14.0 now. Go figure.

Ha! For ***** and giggles, I installed my copy of Corel Draw 3.0 (3 1/2" drives still have a purpose. ) a while ago and was surprised by some of the functionality (such as "text on a path").

I did some research, and this site says that "text on a path" wasn't available until the CS release, which this site says wasn't released until 2003. Corel 3.0 was released back in 1992, so they must be doing something right.

There's other reasons why I kept Corel and even Canvas in my tool set for years. I could right click and enter into node-edit mode in Corel since back in the day. Not the same in older versions of Illustrator.

I swear that Corel 5 had gradient on a path too. It could be tweaked to be basically a gradient mesh-ish type of usage as introduced in Illustrator 8.0

Another thing is that the timeline control is going to be a lot different. No more F6 to create a new keyframe. All of the timeline based animation is now broken up into effects. So if you add a property, it shows up as a keyframe in your animation. So you click on that keyframe and you can modify that property.

So if you need to adjust the timing or speed of your animation, you can just grab it and drag it out and it'll adjust accordingly. Pretty neat to see.

If you want to go crazy with the control of your animation, you can pull up the new advanced timeline controls as shown in that screenshot. But you dont have to use them if you dont want to.

^ :drool:

If I didn't want to join the lines?... Then I'd put it on a new layer.
    Yeah that's waay less clicking and things to manage
    And so far I have been able to make an 'S' like shape and a '^' shape with your suggestion, but I can't make the line curve (bow out like an arc) from clicking anywhere on the line and dragging away.
    Any corner join can be converted to a smooth join by alt-clicking and dragging on it with the pen tool selected. Click once with the pen tool on the path somewhere to add a point, drag that point to form a corner then alt-click and drag on the point. Just drag one of the bezier handles over the point to get rid of the smoothness on either side.
    Ha! For ***** and giggles, I installed my copy of Corel Draw 3.0 (3 1/2" drives still have a purpose. ) a while ago and was surprised by some of the functionality (such as "text on a path").

I did some research, and this site says that "text on a path" wasn't available until the CS release, which this site says wasn't released until 2003. Corel 3.0 was released back in 1992, so they must be doing something right.
    That's photoshop, not illustrator.
    Btw, there's a plug in older than alien skin that allows you to do type on a path in photoshop.

Go ahead and add multiple strokes with a different appearance on each one in flash and get back to me. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Dude, seriously. The drawing tools in Flash remind of those in CorelDRAW... version 2.5.

They're at version 14.0 now. Go figure.
    That's actually insulting to Corel.