A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Anybody know about After Effects?

Anybody know about After Effects?

I have a question…Dealing with animation and video for the web; can Flash do everything After Effects can do? I’ve found some tutorials for After Effects that are awesome. Before I go out and purchase AE, is possible to achieve these effects with Flash? Is AE a good product for web design?

Check out these tutorials:

http://www.videocopilot.net/evolution/

Anybody know where I can find some good stuff like this for Flash?

if you work a lot with live video and motion graphics then you will need AE or Motion.

flash cant do it alone especially if you're trying to do a majority of these tutorials: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials.html

i havent seen anything like andrew kramer's effects done solely in flash, mostly because it uses video.

it all depends on what you're trying to do. if all you want to do is things like the floral swirls in the link you posted above then you can do that in flash definitely.
    Last edited by J-Luv; 06-16-2008 at 12:09 PM.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

Dynamic Systems, Inc. mikaelian's Avatar
    AF by far is more powerful in video effects than Flash. But AE does not have the programming scripting power of Flash. Also, AE produces non-interactive video clips only.

You may very rarely need AE if you work in web developemnt. But you will definitely need AE if you produce videos.

It is sometimes very useful to pu small video fragments done by AE in Flash… Looks fine that way…
    Dynamic Systems
    Professional Web Development Solutions!
    www.DySyst.com

AE produces video. Flash can play video. That's about where their connection stops. Give Flash a few versions and they'll be adding AE like Effects libraries that will actually be able to render in real time. Until then you're stuck with chopping up frames and bloating the .swf file size.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I probably will not be doing much with video. I really like AE's 3D effects, the ease of use, and the "glow" effect. I don't want to waste money on AE if it’s possible to do this stuff in Flash. I haven’t really studied into what all Flash can do for me so I might stick with that right now. However, those tutorials look awesome for AE and now I’m stumped.