A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSLR for Travelling

DSLR for Travelling

Looking for a good, luggable, DSLR that's not super expensive. Any recommendations?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

define super expensive.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

> $1000
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

There is a whiff of an oxymoron about a 'luggagle' DSLR. Have you looked at the Canon G9? I'd happily swap my D1x SLR for a G9...
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

I second the G9.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

But isn't the focal length still gimped compared to a standard 18-55mm walkaround lens? If I want to capture buildings, landscapes, horizons, the g9 is still a party camera for relatively short distances, no?

It's focal length is 35-210mm which is a decent range. You can also get a wide angle adapter, tele adapter, underwater housing, extra batteries, memory cards, and still be under $1000.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Ah, ok, I didn't realize the 35mm equivalent wasn't printed on it. The photo of it at B&H says 7.4-44.4

It takes amazing photos as well. Just look up the tag canon G9 on flickr and you'll see. I was almost tempted to sell some of my gear to get a G9 for my London trip.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Damn 2 models old but you can't beat that price with a entry level lens.

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    I picked up the XT for $399 with a 18-55 lens. It's been a wonder.

I've had that XT since it came out. For that price, you win...pair it with a rockin lens and you are solid.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Second the XT, got that exact set sitting right in front of me. Works wonders.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

and if you still want to spend $1000 you could pick up a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and also the new Canon 55-250 IS.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    This looks awesome.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

That has been my main lens for a while now. Picked it up used over at POTN for $400(can easily find one for 300-350 now) and it is amazing. I just love the f/2.8 through the whole range and it is VERY sharp. The only Canon lens that is comparable is the 17-55 f/2.8 IS but that is $1000 itself.

How many of you out there are closet photographers? We need more member over at the 88 side of town. Who cares what you shoot- I want to see it!

Right now someone has a G9 with 2 2gig cards for $400 at www.photography-no-the.net

Hmmm...thanks guys. Tough choice here. The G9 looks like a good choice, but the XT or an XTi I could experiment with when I'm not traveling. Got some thinking to do. Lots of stuff bordering the line between want/need right now.

G9.
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21