A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DSLR for Travelling

Yeah as much as the XT looks like a good deal it really is quite a big camera. If you are using it for traveling etc and aren't the all time photo guy a pocket sized camera might better suite your style of shooting.

more to add to the confusion
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

What do you guys think about the Olympus E-510 or E-520? Smaller, lighter, has image stabilization.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Or the E-420?

Or should I stop over-thinking and just buy a 400D?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

Just buy top of the line, be done with it.

If I can keep a lowly Canon S230 for almost 7 years, you can do the same with your investment.

Seriously... and not trying to knock you - but knowing you, you'd be better off buying the 400D instead of buying something cheaply. Less thinky, go buyee.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Either 400D or G9. They are both amazing contenders it just runs down to the only one question- size. If you don't mind a SLR around your neck I say go for the 400D if you do then get the nice travel friendly G9.

end of story.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

You really should register over at POTN- I check the buy/sell forum multiple times a day and they have some killer deals.

Canon 20D - $390
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=525426

Canon 30D - $595
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=525259

Just saw a seller low ball a Tamron 17-50 for $290!
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 06-24-2008 at 09:29 AM.

I think I've settled on getting the 400D, but springing a few extra bucks for the IS version of the 18-55mm kit lens. ($170) From what I've read, it's a worthwhile upgrade. There's a USM version that apparently addresses a few image quality shortcomings of the kit lens, but it's $300.

I have shot with the original 18-55 kit lens and I took some awesome picture with it. Yes $$$$ L glass is amazing stuff but the kit is a true contender for beginners. I would love to test out the new IS version. USM is just a focusing mechanism so I am not sure how it helps image quality? I didn't realize how good USM was until I got a lens with it. Super fast and silent.

From what I've read, the USM lens is manufactured in Japan, and the build quality is better. They may also not be using the same exact lens parts as with the other Taiwanese built lenses.

Buying the 400d body only and getting the IS lens is about a $40 difference from just buying the 400D complete kit, so it's worth it. I plan on taking some landscape shots and getting into telephoto range, so having the IS, while not essential, is worth it.

I can't tell you the number of shots using the zoom on my elf came out blurry and unusable b/c of jitters.

This is, of course, if Newegg or B&H ever get the black 400D body back in stock.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 06-26-2008 at 01:13 PM.

I'm guess you've looked at Amazon as well? I am also guessing you are not fond of used gear because POTN has used 400D and kit lenses all the time for quite a discount.

Funny you mentioned the kit lens thing. I was just reading this morning about the Taiwan Vs. Japanese makes of them.

I wouldn't be adverse to used gear if a reputable shop was selling it and stood behind it. B&H has a great used shop, they just don't have what I want in stock. There are a couple of local shops I need to check out too.

Yeah B&H has awesome stuff. That is where I got my 20D it was a 10 rated camera. I got it and I swear it was new like someone just opened the box and was like- nah I change my mind.

I just keep saying POTN because it for the most part are professionals or people with good intentions trying to make some cash and help others with direct sales. I have got both my Tamron and Canon lenses from people on there and they both came just like my camera with everything they come with brand new looking and fully functional. I saved $80 off my tele a few months ago from there and I see it being sold for $50 even cheaper then I paid.

Either way go out and buy the damn thing! We need some new blood in the photo forum. That place is dead lately. It's all threads by me- pretty sad

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    I wouldn't be adverse to used gear if a reputable shop was selling it and stood behind it. B&H has a great used shop, they just don't have what I want in stock. There are a couple of local shops I need to check out too.
    double friggin' check (by calling) what they say that the site says is in stock. I love B&H, but they said that they had a G9 in used for ages, and yet it wasn't there. I waited forever before canceling.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

The irony is I used to pass it on my way to work every day. Now I can only make it over there on weekends, and they're closed on Sat.

I went there on a weekend trip once and totally forgot that they were closed on Saturdays and that was the only time during the trip I could make it. It was like I was a child going to toys r us only to make it there and find it on fire

Oy vey.

Downtown Manhattan used to be littered with mom and pop electronics shops before the WTC went up. Shame there aren't too many like that anymore, great bargains, haggling, and plenty of selection.

J&R is a close second, but they don't specialize in cameras.

Does it matter what they specialize in? If you know what you want whatever has the best price seems good

No problem at all, I'm talking about if you want a store to just browse around in, B&H is going to have a lot of stuff J&R doesn't carry.

got ya.