A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [PLAY] The Orange Box: Flash Game

[PLAY] The Orange Box: Flash Game

I am part way through making an orange box flash game, any comments or suggestion will be great, i am always updating the link, so the latest version is playable:

www.freewebs.com/timwatkinson/orangebox.htm

thanks..

funky

This is a hugely brave undertaking. Not only are you making 3 pretty big games, but games that a lot of people have played to death ( Myself included ).

This is only going to be a brief reply I'm afraid, even more so considering the scope of what you're doing.

Blur filters look great when done subtly, yours are a bit over the top.

TF2, that's pretty much only just been started I guess. From a presentation point of view, if you're going to use a lot of Valves great artwork, at least pick a decent font to go with it.

Portal, just didn't get what was going on there, so no feedback on that.

HL2, Gordon loves his walking on the spot Again, pretty much too incomplete to be able to comment really ( Perhaps you should hunt down the old Flash HL2 tribute game, it was pretty impressive at the time. In saying that, maybe look at the Flash portal game too, as that's had a ton of traffic and nice things said about it ).

As I said, I've not really given the games a long play, so I may have missed a lot of stuff and been too heavy handed here ( Consider it just my first impressions ).
    I'd love it for this to be great, hopefully it will be.

Squize.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    This is a hugely brave undertaking. Not only are you making 3 pretty big games, but games that a lot of people have played to death ( Myself included ).

This is only going to be a brief reply I'm afraid, even more so considering the scope of what you're doing.

Blur filters look great when done subtly, yours are a bit over the top.

TF2, that's pretty much only just been started I guess. From a presentation point of view, if you're going to use a lot of Valves great artwork, at least pick a decent font to go with it.

Portal, just didn't get what was going on there, so no feedback on that.

HL2, Gordon loves his walking on the spot Again, pretty much too incomplete to be able to comment really ( Perhaps you should hunt down the old Flash HL2 tribute game, it was pretty impressive at the time. In saying that, maybe look at the Flash portal game too, as that's had a ton of traffic and nice things said about it ).

As I said, I've not really given the games a long play, so I may have missed a lot of stuff and been too heavy handed here ( Consider it just my first impressions ).
    I'd love it for this to be great, hopefully it will be.

Squize.
    thanks for all that feedback and most people normally say its crap, you retain the feedback, the portal game isnt goin to compete with the other, have a look at one of the first and i think only portal trailers, i have link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4jnl0hRB9I, the simple cartoon design is the look i am going for. and i have also played tf2 for over 60 hours. i have a lot of kinks to work out with portal, telports and the gun. i have a deadline on till august so i have enough time. this is just a start and with useful help like yours, it can be great what will not onlyhelp me but other flash gamers, think as the games as demos or minigames or a vertical slice if you will, the game play and graphics will never match the source engine but for people who dont have these games or want more ( such as mods and steam content that people love). with the font, i have had bad experiences with font it completely slowed down my game and ruined it, but i will try to do somthing. thanks again

Sorry, but the load time for the game is unacceptable considering that there's almost no content in the game at all. I suggest trying to deliver one complete and polished game rather than attempting to make several at the same time.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Student
    regarding the preloader:
    PHP Code:
    var _root.getBytesLoaded();
    var 
    _root.getBytesTotal();
    txt.text "("+int(a/1024)+" / "+int(b/1024)+" KB)";
    if  (
    >=&& int(b)>0){//not null/undefined & loaded

playGame();

I can´t stand byte counters and the need of manually interact to hit a button called play- just to get to the main screen

the blur filters make it impossible to play on this older machine (1.14 Ghz, ! GB RAM)- even some 3d engines in Flash run so much faster on this computer.

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    regarding the preloader:
    PHP Code:
    var _root.getBytesLoaded();
    var 
    _root.getBytesTotal();
    txt.text "("+int(a/1024)+" / "+int(b/1024)+" KB)";
    if  (
    >=&& int(b)>0){//not null/undefined & loaded

playGame();

I can´t stand byte counters and the need of manually interact to hit a button called play- just to get to the main screen

the blur filters make it impossible to play on this older machine (1.14 Ghz, ! GB RAM)- even some 3d engines in Flash run so much faster on this computer.
    ok i should be able to do somthing about the loading times and the blur i have fixed but not uploaded the new version, later i will somehow decrease loading times, like reducing sounds and quality

Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    Sorry, but the load time for the game is unacceptable considering that there's almost no content in the game at all. I suggest trying to deliver one complete and polished game rather than attempting to make several at the same time.
    do you think i should just make one game, say tf2 then work on another game...?

ok i have updated the above link and require some tips/feedback and if anybody wants to take part as a tester, they will be put into the credits

To be blunt, feedback on what ?

Episode 1 didn't do anything at all ( I remember the last version had some sort of "platform" game there, this time, nothing ? )
    Episode 2 is, erm, not quite what I was expecting ( And when you quit to the menu it keeps running ).
    Portal, is there anything more than movement ? I couldn't seem to pass through the portal.
    TF2 isn't a game at all.
    The achievements aren't working, and don't remove those white boxes properly so I had to reload the game again.

At the moment it's some buttons, some ripped images, a lot of blur, a lot of tweened text with a nasty font ( And having that "won over a 100 awards" on the front page came across as being cheeky ) and not much else.

I know I'm being harsh, and I know it's wip, but really mate, what is there to beta test yet ? Not one of the games are in any sort of alpha state yet ( Although the credits seem done ).

Perhaps concentrate on one of the games and try and make that good, and turn everything else off on the main menu screen, then repost.

Squize.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    To be blunt, feedback on what ?

Episode 1 didn't do anything at all ( I remember the last version had some sort of "platform" game there, this time, nothing ? )
    Episode 2 is, erm, not quite what I was expecting ( And when you quit to the menu it keeps running ).
    Portal, is there anything more than movement ? I couldn't seem to pass through the portal.
    TF2 isn't a game at all.
    The achievements aren't working, and don't remove those white boxes properly so I had to reload the game again.

At the moment it's some buttons, some ripped images, a lot of blur, a lot of tweened text with a nasty font ( And having that "won over a 100 awards" on the front page came across as being cheeky ) and not much else.

I know I'm being harsh, and I know it's wip, but really mate, what is there to beta test yet ? Not one of the games are in any sort of alpha state yet ( Although the credits seem done ).

Perhaps concentrate on one of the games and try and make that good, and turn everything else off on the main menu screen, then repost.

Squize.

ok yea thanks, here some information

i removed the half life stuff cos it was crap, and portal will have more than movment but im building on it, im developing it not programming it, i have someone else to do that,

half life will be a top down shooter, but not that much shooting lots of tactical thinking like in the game, i am spending couple of months on the level design,

the beta tests will start in december of this year, i just want to put interest around and get a few people signed up early yea i may do that idea of getting rid of everything apart from one and work on it loads, portal i think. that would be good

the credits are not done, cos i still have to add the testers and programmer to it, but yea its probs alpha state.

i also need to ask permission from valve to use the lience, cos otherwise i may get prosicuted for using the logos and characters

thanks for feedback, its not harsh, i wouldnt want you to say its good, cos its not!

thanks again for your suport!

funky

I guarantee you if you ask for permission, they will say no. You are better off calling this a "fan game" and release it as such with no ads. I'm sure they would tolerate fan stuff, but actually giving legal permission? They'd never be that dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Beez
    I guarantee you if you ask for permission, they will say no. You are better off calling this a "fan game" and release it as such with no ads. I'm sure they would tolerate fan stuff, but actually giving legal permission? They'd never be that dumb.
    i will say something like "would i be able to make a small profit by getting the game sponsored by a third party advertiser? or would i have to remove the ads"

something like that

funky, im not sure what happend with the portal flash game i will have to contact the people who made it anybody know?