A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Vista issue?

Vista issue?

Hi all,

I created a windows standalone projector a couple of years ago to be distributed by the client as an autorun CD. I used the fscommand ("exec", "doc_name.exe"); to open certain word and pdf files when the relevant button was clicked.

All was fine until now. The client has requested changes to the project which I have carried out. I supplied the client with a new CD to test and he is saying that when he loads the CD in Vista the word and pdf docs do not open when the buttons are clicked.

I have tested this myself on my own system (XP) and it is fine. When I test on another laptop running Vista the buttons do indeed stop working.

I have read the the other posts on here regarding similar problem but they all refer to CS3. I am still using Flash 8.

Is there anyone who could shed some light on this for me and perhaps suggest where I might find a solution?

Many thanks in advance.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    What is "doc_name.exe" doing?

Thanks for the reply Northcode.

"doc_name.exe" is an executable. I have a text file with the path and file name of the object I want to open. The .exe and the .txt file have the same name. I am calling the .exe from my Flash projector.

It works on XP but not on Vista.

Any ideas why?

What's in the text file? Just the path (and filename) of the file you want to open? Or is it a BAT file, like you would use with my proxy utility? Did you write the EXE? It might be helpful to know what the EXE is trying to do.

Does the EXE show a shield icon in Vista when you browse the CD? If so, Vista thinks the EXE requires elevation (higher privileges) and so it would fail if the parent (caller) didn't have sufficient rights.

Hi Northcode,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

What's in the text file? Just the path (and filename) of the file you want to open? Yes just the path and file name.
    "docs/document_name.doc"

Or is it a BAT file, like you would use with my proxy utility? Did you write the EXE? No I didn't write the EXE. Downloaded from the flashgeek.com website.

It might be helpful to know what the EXE is trying to do. Unfortunately I dont know what is in the EXE.

Does the EXE show a shield icon in Vista when you browse the CD? No.

If so, Vista thinks the EXE requires elevation (higher privileges) and so it would fail if the parent (caller) didn't have sufficient rights.

The flashgeek utility is probably just doing a ShellExecute on whatever path it finds in the text file then. You might want to try my proxy utility (it's free), it lets you use a BAT file instead of a text file so you can put whatever commands you want in the BAT file, which gives you a few more options.

You might want to read this post from my blog. It explains the problem you've run into and offers a free tool that lets you get around it.

Fixing the Windows Start Command in Vista