A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [link]for those who doubt that big portals will ever use unity?

[link]for those who doubt that big portals will ever use unity?

Disney and...pucca! I love it! Pucca is so cute!
    http://tv.disney.go.com/jetix/pucca/...ain/index.html

really nice stuff, am getting a Mac next week for the very reaosn of running Unity on it, most excited.

ChrisError x

oops, sorry double post

Disney use Director and some proprietary stuff long before portals, and I don't think anybody doubted portals would eventuallu use Unity ( Shockwave uses it ).

My point ( again ) though: How is this game any different than any Director racing game we've seen in the last 10 years?

I may end up using Unity if they ever release a Windows version, so I don't have anything against it, but quality of the game should be more important than what was used to make it. ( unless it's flash since this is flashkit )

This game is not even as good as some flash racers. Sure it's 3D, but first track ( qualifier) you are racing against nobody and do they really expect me to race for 6 minutes before being able to try racing against other guys ?

Even in real life, Formula1 qualifying lap is around 90 seconds.

Other than that, a pretty average game compared to what we are used to seeing from Director.

I want a mac+unity, but even a mac mini is hard to justify in terms of cost / performance ( A mac air is the dream, but that's just silly money ).

Anyway, enough of my casual day dreaming, back to the thread.

Squize.

Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    I want a mac+unity, but even a mac mini is hard to justify in terms of cost / performance ( A mac air is the dream, but that's just silly money ).

Anyway, enough of my casual day dreaming, back to the thread.

Squize.
    noooo, dont fall to the dark side. Its a trick.

bloody good game, so smooth
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMD
    My point ( again ) though: How is this game any different than any Director racing game we've seen in the last 10 years?
    The final result may look similar, BUT, Director is still die/dont die,full of bugs, etc, while with unity you can still make games for pc/macs,wii or iphone, so i doubt noone will ever say that unity is dead
    One consequence of that that makes a difference for the players is, not just Director but new shockwave player is also full of bugs too
    Also, i cant talk about that that much but in the creation side unity has a lot of 3d/games resources that Director dont

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Disney were one of the first sites to use the original futuresplash plugin. Macromedia already ran shockwave on disney, saw the new plugin, bought it from the original developers and renamed it flash.

Hopefully adobe will do something similar with unity and put a stop to all this mac nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by lesli_felix
    Hopefully adobe will do something similar with unity and put a stop to all this mac nonsense.
    Adobe?? To do what they did with flash?? No please...
    Now if MS did that, with IE caming with the unity plugim, that would be good

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    I will not go to mac ever..... mac sucks.
    Unity rocks. Even though I got stuck in a tree.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Xbox 360 Modding Controller PS3 Mod Paint Spray LED Case

Knows where you live
    I am sure I'm not alone when I say that unity development being mac-only is a deal breaker.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

And I bet adobe breath a sigh of relief for that every night.

In terms of online games, I imagine a windows based dev environment for unity would really hurt Flash in a very short space of time, even in spite of no one having the plug-in installed at present.

Squize.

Knows where you live
    Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    And I bet adobe breath a sigh of relief for that every night.

In terms of online games, I imagine a windows based dev environment for unity would really hurt Flash in a very short space of time, even in spite of no one having the plug-in installed at present.

Squize.
    No kidding. If I could develop without shelling out for a mac I would have jumped ship weeks ago.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

So what are the advantages of Director over flash, besides the obvious 3d advantage?
    Flash Ninja Clan - Games and cartoons

Well, the game you see above is developed in Unity not Director. However, just for you to know there are no advantages of Director over flash these days, it is a truly awful piece of software which should be put to sleep humanely by it's owners.

Unity however seems to be a lovely piece of kit, but I will report back fully next week after my first experiments in it.

ChrisError x

"If I could develop without shelling out for a mac I would have jumped ship weeks ago."

Totally.

Squize.

My wife has a macbook, it's less than ideal for developing, but I had dive on it and unity rocks.

But I must admit that I honestly don't like OSX (it's 100% personal, so let's don't start a feature x is better and "as soon as" comments).

But even if I could get a mac to work with, it's not only the costs, it's having to store another piece of hardware, most certainly with two 22inch tft to be able to work ... but there is NO room for that.

I'd be the first to shelf away CS3. It's closed source, the file format is not open, that alone would make the switch worthwhile.

shish!

I was informed that Director, and I supposed unity, has an actual Z axis, unlike Flash.
    Flash Ninja Clan - Games and cartoons

*cough* Hackintosh *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by samvillian
    I will not go to mac ever..... mac sucks.
    How? If you're going to make such blunt statements, at least back it up with reasoning.

I use all of the Big Three Operating Systems a pretty much equal amount nowadays, and I can say that the user experience on OS X and Linux is by far superior to Windows. There's no inexplicable errors, no annoying speech bubbles (doing the same thing after you repeat an action... thanks for telling me you found a new device, you don't need to do it on every boot), no need for antivirus, no scrabbling around for drivers... it took me about 3 years of owning my Windows PC before I figured out how to get sound drivers for it (no driver CD had come with it, and there's no obvious tools provided with Windows for finding out what motherboard you have).

Linux is also going in the right direction. So long as you can get your head around basic Terminal usage, it's really quite intuitive. In most cases, downloading+installing new software takes just one command (on Ubuntu, at least).

In my opinion, the only reason to use Windows (obviously talking about XP; Vista never really took off) over any other OS is for the large library of software (and the admittedly nice though selectively functional Add/Remove programs tool). But everything else about it really doesn't seem to work properly. Main problem is that the apps don't seem to play nicely together. For example, a few days ago, I was trying to play Unreal Tournament, then a Windows Update dialogue popped up mid-game (minimizing my session, thanks a lot), telling me that updates had been installed (wait, what? I never even opened Windows Update; I don't even know how! And which 'updates' are these?), and that in 5 minutes, my computer would restart. I was given options to 'Restart Now' or 'Restart Later'. So I clicked 'Later', and the dialogue came up again 5 minutes later. For about a full hour, I humoured it by clicking 'Later' every time it showed up, never once wising up or giving me a goddamn 'cancel' button. In the end I just had to stop playing and restart.

Another gripe I have with XP is that damned Start Bar. You can launch programs from it, but here's the catch - not all the software in Program Files gets put into the launcher. And it's in a completely random order - I checked once, and found that mine wasn't sorted by name, date, or any other conceivable indexing system. And you know what would also be nice? Being able to open any of the folders listed in the Start Bar. Sometimes I don't want to launch an app, I want to go into its folder. But clicking on the folder does... absolutely nothing.

Also, no spring-loaded folders. I often need to drag-and-drop files down multiple directories. Can't be done on Windows. You've got to Copy and Paste, or get two windows of different directories open side-by-side. How intuitive.

And Windows is bloatware. 20 years of legacy support, and still Microsoft aren't attempting a purge. Macs pick up new technologies in a heartbeat. Apple pioneered the switch to CDs and USB. They redefined the desktop computer (putting an end to beige), and embraced new standards such as Firewire and H.264, to make the most modern and streamlined user experience possible. In 10.6, they are focusing on upping RAM limits, adding GPU processing, and adding system-wide support for multiple processors. Anything and everything they can do to make it run faster and take up less space, work more intelligently, etc... they are truly pushing the boundaries of personal computing.

There's not much software for OS X and Linux, but absolutely everything that I have ever needed to do (plus, I imagine, loads of stuff that other people need to do) can be done with freeware downloads on Mac OS X. In any given case, there are usually only a handful of choices, and there is always one clear, free program for the job. This freeware situation is driven by the fact that on Linux, there is a thriving open-source community, and OS X dev kits are free, well-documented, extremely capable and come with your install disc. From what I've heard about the Windows platform, Microsoft charges for their VB kits, which really does suck for devs.

So can you see why my preference and usage of OS X and Linux over XP is more than just an unfounded, fanatical notion? OS X does not suck, Macs do not suck, and you need to open your eyes.
    Last edited by VENGEANCE MX; 07-03-2008 at 05:47 PM.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.