A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: KoolMoves 7 technology preview

KoolMoves 7 technology preview

As you all may know, Bob is working hard on the next version of KoolMoves named KoolMoves 7.
    This thread will show you some technology preview demos so you know what you are waiting for

KM7 is all about ActionScript 3.0 .
    AS 3.0 is a new scripting language that is a lot faster compared to AS 1.0 but also more complex.
    Since AS 3.0 isn't compatible with AS 1.0 a brand new set of components had to be created.
    The AS 3.0 based KM7 components will be skinned using bitmap images.

Here's a few of the new components placed together on stage.

This example shows the new improved list component.
    It's much faster compared to the current one and can handle a few thousand items without problems.

Most of the capabilities of the current SlideShow component are merged into the MediaPlayer component to create one new enhanced MediaPlayer component.
    MediaPlayer component example 1
    MediaPlayer component example 2

All examples mentioned above were compiled using the beta version of KM7 and require FlashPlayer9 to be viewed.

Lookin good Wilbert, can't wait to get my hands on it!

After seeing this I can only say: "I want, I want, I want..."

Everybody thinks of changing humanity,
    Nobody thinks of changing himself.

The look is kind of Mac-ish, altleast that what it reminded me of !

Just wondering, is there more AS control of the components ? eg. stop start pause etc.. for the mediapalyer ?
    what can you tell us ?

It looks good, thought few question, is it easy for newbie to make one media palyer with koolmoves?

Is it still using the same GUI of KM?

is there any changes in timeline? ( which I never happend to like the KM's timeline)

Any update for type of line joining (Round, Miter and Bevel)?

It would be great if you could show us some new GUI screenshot of KM if there is any.

Thank you

You can make mediaplayer VERY easily in the current version as well as next.

Same GUI

No changes to timeline (don't use it much myself)

You can do line joining when drawing in actionscript now.

GUI looks the same basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Putz
    The look is kind of Mac-ish, altleast that what it reminded me of !
    It's just bitmap images. This won't be the only skin you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Putz
    Just wondering, is there more AS control of the components ? eg. stop start pause etc.. for the mediapalyer ?
    The things you are mentioning (start, stop, pause) are possible.

Just like getting used to AS3, you will have to get used to the new components since some things are handled a bit different. The external playlists for the mediaplayer for example are now XML based and offer more options.
    .fd files won't be used anymore by the new mediaplayer component. The data for the spectrum analyzer the media player example is showing is calculated in realtime for the sound(s) currently playing.

Quote Originally Posted by blanius
    You can do line joining when drawing in action script now.
    it would be great if you guys could add this option into shape Properties >> Look (I mean Line Join option)

Action script never means easy for newbie, please consider GUI Action assist for newbies as well and more feature Like what I mentioned above.

Ruler would be nice thing to have.

I have recently bought KoolMoves which I am very familiar with Macromedia flash MX Tools and off course some intermediate Action script 2, however KoolMoves scares me, KoolMoves help file is very poor and does not help much.

I certainly do not know how to do simple shape and motion tweening in KoolMoves yet , is this possible in KM 7 with GUI function?

If you reading this then I am sure you know how bad I am with Koolmoves even thought of knowing Macromedia flash.

Anyway, hope KM 7 will helps guys like me more. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ghol
    KoolMoves help file is very poor and does not help much.
    The user manual http://www.koolmoves.com/tutorials/usermanual.pdf although not updated recently, provides a lot of information on how to use KoolMoves.
    There's also a repository http://koolexchange.com/ containing a lot of examples you can download and study.

For those who are working with components, the documentation of properties and methods of the AS3 components will be better compared to the documentation for the current components.

Thank you, But I still think KM could have better GUI, it would be easy to get what I want, I have learned things in a classic way, frankly speaking I have learn how to make basic thing with KM but after few hours I forgot which tool I have used to that. I may be stupid with KM I have made flash site with macromedia MX, I like KoolMoves and I like what it does, That's why I have paid for it. Now please take a note from users like me, make it easy GUI and every option will be available with selection a tool for that certain tool.

I hope you understand my poor English.

Thought more screen shot from KM 7 feature would be nice of you to share with us.
    Last edited by ghol; 07-08-2008 at 04:37 AM.

ghol, although I appreciate thet you may be on a learning curve with Koolmoves, I can assure you what you can achieve with this software, very quickly, is infinitely simpler than trying to get conversant with Flash.

Thank you for convincing, I really hope KM7 won't take much time to learn.

Even thought this topic is not suitable to discuss about KM learning curve but

I really hope somehow KM7 could make less writing code, some how by clicking of few button makes coding much easier. that's all for now

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghol
    I really hope somehow KM7 could make less writing code, some how by clicking of few button makes coding much easier. that's all for now
    Compared with Flash, Flex or any other SWF authoring tool, KM already does simplify a LOT of coding with GUI item selections so I think you're just overwhelmed by it being new to you.

Try a free demo of Flash (or any other SWF authoring tool) and compare it's interface to how easy Koolmoves attempts to make the experience for new users. Flex....even worse. Some coding...whether you like it or not...you have to embrace. With Koolmoves ability to import it's own source (.fun) into another movie (scripting intact) you really only need to make something complicated once (say a customized listbox), save it and re-import it into another movie whenever you need one.

For the money...Koolmoves simply cannot be beat for users of any skill level. KM7 is going to redefine the platform...watch and see. KM6 code is going to get dusty.....quick

Tweening is where KM is really simple.... gohl the trick is to NOT think in terms of Flash MX timeline the KM timeline EVERY FRAME IS A KEY FRAME. So to motion tween an object you just place it on a frame, add copy of frame and set the number of tweens between frames and voila...

Woo hoo... Got my first custom class working in the beta of KM7

http://bretlanius.com/flash/km7stuff/dicetest.html

This class was built using flashdevelop some time ago. But here it is being imported into KM7

This is were KM7 is going to shine, using custom classes.... plus the new built in components are looking awesome and are very flexible.

I'm glad you got it working Bret

You and Chris are right about the custom classes.
    It's a big advancement that makes development much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by w.brants
    Well done Wilbert!
    I'm preparing some 3D stuff in KM7.
    Are you interested in a 3D model of a kitty?

Thanks Remus

And of course I love to see your 3D kitty.
    Is AS3 already powerful enough for it ?

Is AS3 already powerful enough for it ?
    No, is not.
    And AS4 doesn't come with anything spectacular.
    But in this case we're talking about a few hundreds polygons 3D model.
    Any dual-core processor should be able to get a decent frame rate.

cheers

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    For those who are working with components, the documentation of properties and methods of the AS3 components will be better compared to the documentation for the current components.
    You've really brought the docs into a new realm and it's what a lot of us are are used to seeing already with livedocs and language references and ASDoc'ish things and all. You've done a phenomenal job...all of you.

I have to ask. What is the plan for SWC support?

Without it we loose commercial wrappers as alternatives for the new toys. We have a lot of commercial KM coders and some must wrap for desktop use or kiosks or etc that simply don't frequent the forum or make themselves known. As Bob said, we have thousands of KM users. If KM can't support SWC it renders itself unable to be the full core of say an SWF Studio wrapped commercial anything. Almost all (ZINC, SWFS, etc ) went to distributing classes in SWC files and not external class definitions.