A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: KoolMoves 7 technology preview

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    I should follow that with I'm sure that would add a huge amount of work for Bob. Maybe a Pro version so it could justify the work. Standard or Pro KM has a ring to it

As I understand it the first release of 7 probably won't have SWC support.
    I too have encouraged Bob that this is essential in the long run, but I think he is stretched at this point to get KM7 out without SWC support. I suppose it will come later with an incremental upgrade after the launch of 7.

As far as I know SWC support won't be covered by KM 7.0 .

AS3 is a complex language with much more different language structures compared to AS1. It's almost impossible to support everything Flash and Flex support and certainly to support it all at once.

SWC is a file format Adobe uses. In most cases it contains precompiled actionscript classes and a xml file describing the methods. There are also SWC files containing more than that. The SWC files Google and Northcode distribute for example are less complex (when it comes to the file structure) compared to the one Yahoo is distributing.
    The fact that the classes are precompiled means a way would have to be found to deal with that to support it.

When AS1 support was added to KM (as far as I remember) the amount of supported syntax was extended gradually. The amount of the AS3 language that is currently covered most likely already exceeds what the majority of the KM users will ever use. I'm not saying things like SWC support are insignificant or inimportant but last time Bob was asked when KM7 would be released he stated it might be the end of summer. A lot of users are looking forward to the KM7 release.
    It's up to Bob what he wants to support for the KM 7.0 release but to me as a KM user, it makes little sense to add several more months to that to support very complex features. I just wanna play with it It makes more sense to me when he saves those things for KM 7.x releases that will follow KM 7.0 .

I agree on all points...especially the "want to play with it now" one

SWC can be worked around by loading KM7 into another core which can utilize it (CS3,Flex etc) so those who need it will have access to it since KM7 now supports the loader class so I'm not sweating it....I was only curious .

I already know he has done an awesome job because I can this minute port nearly all my existing AS3 scripting for my website, almost verbatim, with little to no changes needing to be made (except targeting your components instead of Flex based ones of course and other things specific to KM). The main scripting changes needed (in my case because of existing AS3) were to rework any use of E4X to normal methods but otherwise I'm amazed at how spot on he has this working.

If he stopped right now...this minute...he would still have the coolest 3rd party swf authoring tool on the market (Swish and 3DFA and the rest couldn't compare to KM IMO when it was limited to AS1 and they will be in the same boat with AS3) and I agree getting the GUI plugged in and other things are far more important. Thanks for the replies too

Super Moderator
    Wilbert deserves a large portion of the credit. We worked well together. If you come across syntax structures or code fragments which are not working correctly, email them to Wilbert.

KoolMoves 7 beta version

As for me I have no clue what Is AS 3. will be any GUI for basic AS such loading external sound and controlling audio, Loading external .SWF, FLV into specifice location of stage through through AS3 or as what we have with most current version KM?

And secondly, is there any preview / beta version for download?

Thank you

AS3 is just a different and more powerful scripting language.
    To give you an idea about the differences here's a simple AS1 script and its AS3 equivalent

AS1
    Code:
    mx = 5;

mc1._x += mx;
    mc1.onPress = function(){
    	this._y++;
    }

onEnterFrame = function(){
    	mc1._rotation += 5;
    	mc1._alpha = mc1._rotation / 3.6;
    }
    AS3
    Code:
    var mx:int = 5;

mc1.x += mx;

function pressHandler(e:MouseEvent):void {
    	e.target.y++;
    }

mc1.addEventListener('mouseDown', pressHandler);

function enterFrameHandler(e:Event):void {
    	mc1.rotation += 5;
    	mc1.alpha = mc1.rotation / 360;
    }

addEventListener('enterFrame', enterFrameHandler);
    There are only a few users who have access to the beta.
    Those are familiar with the AS3 scripting language so they can test things.
    Last edited by w.brants; 07-17-2008 at 11:08 AM.

The AS3 support is great...but it begs the question for me and (maybe) some other developers not as versed in that version. What are the best ways for us to learn AS3? I hate to just jump around from link to link if you AS3-savvy developers can recommend some good sources.

Thanks in advance!

The Colin Mook's book is a good start Essential Actionscript 3

It's the one I'm using. But the Adobe online docs are VERY good and the new components will have good documentation available online as well.

Thank you blanius. But I prefer most basic AS could be done by GUI (changing option by click of mouse).

such as;
    FScommands( to add Visual Basic, Visual C++,javascript)
    loadMovie()

loadMovieNum()

Loading dynamic objects

Loading audio and Pausing and Resuming a Sound with help GUI

Using Key Class to Add Interactivity

if (Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT)) {

_root.gotoAndStop("Frame 2");

} else if (Key.isDown(Key.LEFT)) {

_root.gotoAndStop("Frame 1");

}
    Controling TimeLine with AS

onEnterFrame Events

button event and off course many more
    Last edited by ghol; 07-17-2008 at 08:53 PM.

The big changes are
    1. you must declare what type of object it is when you first use it. That the stuff after the : in Wilbert's example
    2. Events and Listeners is totally new, and I had a little trouble with them at first, but then I realized it's a much better method.
    3. Basic syntax has change a good deal

But all in all it's not terribly difficult. Also don't forget there is an Actionscript 3 forum here at flashkit and it's totally valid to ask questions in there as well. If you go look you'll see I've been asking some myself.

Ghol, in your case it probably is best to wait for the KM7 release, and ask some questions on this forum or look at the examples that come with it.

Scripting is all about freedom and the control you have about things as a user. It doesn't make any sense at all if the list you are mentioning would be added to the gui. It would take Bob a lot of time and you will see that once you are scripting you always want more. Besides that, AS3 doesn't have a Key class and loadMovie and LoadMovieNum don't exist anymore. If you want to script, you simply have to put in some time and effort to learn how to do it.

[QUOTE=w.brants] Besides that, AS3 doesn't have a Key class and loadMovie and LoadMovieNum don't exist anymore. QUOTE]
    So what is the official way to use loadMovieNum as that was one key feature that I used a lot.
    Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and used.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore935
    Quote Originally Posted by w.brants
    Besides that, AS3 doesn't have a Key class and loadMovie and LoadMovieNum don't exist anymore.
    So what is the official way to use loadMovieNum as that was one key feature that I used a lot.
    import flash.net.URLRequest;
    var ldr:Loader = new Loader();
    var url:String = "whatever.swf";
    var urlReq:URLRequest = new URLRequest(url);
    ldr.load(urlReq);

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks! I don't have an environment to "play" in at the moment, but I can certainly take a look at code and changes reflected in documentation.

Because someone asked me to post the KM7 (complete) code in case of "loadMovie":

ldr.load(urlReq);
    addChild(ldr);
    ldr.x = 100;
    ldr.y = 100;
    stop();

cheers

in case Necro's code is greek to you here's an explaination

var declares that this is a type of variable
    ldr:Loader ldr is the name of this new variable then the colon and Loader state what type of object it is
    new Loader(); creates it

Next two lines are similar just this time it is a String and a URLRequest

Now he calls the load function of ldr (a Loader object) passing urReg variable
    ldr.load(urlReq);
    addChild() is how you add your object to the stage in AS3 this is required for all display objects if you want to see them. The cool thing is that you can do things and have the object react to events even if it's not showing on the stage
    addChild(ldr);
    Then he sets the x and y positon of the loaded movie
    ldr.x = 100;
    ldr.y = 100;
    stop();

Quote Originally Posted by necromanthus
    Because someone asked me to post the KM7 (complete) code in case of "loadMovie":

ldr.load(urlReq);
    addChild(ldr);
    ldr.x = 100;
    ldr.y = 100;
    stop();

cheers
    Thank you necr. I set up a demo on my hard drive for future reference. I was wondering if KM7 will be able to do something like this with Sound:
    http://www.diversioncentral.com/josh...trumEagle.html
    Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and used.

The AS in KM7 is becoming a full blown programming language! I'm sure it will take some time to get used to it. However, like other modern programming languages, AS3 will offer KM7 users a lot more freedom and creativity in the end.

@Blanius: thanx for the "Essential Actionscript 3" book tip!

@tmoore: it will be interesting to hear from Wilbert concerning your example.

Everybody thinks of changing humanity,
    Nobody thinks of changing himself.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore935
    Thank you necr. I set up a demo on my hard drive for future reference. I was wondering if KM7 will be able to do something like this with Sound:
    http://www.diversioncentral.com/josh...trumEagle.html

This is a great example of how users who prefer GUI selections to simplify scripting and others who prefer to script by hand will get the best of both worlds (just like they did with AS1). Wilbert has spectrums built into components (simplified for users) but you will also be able to utilize the Soundmixer and ByteArray classes and build your own if you choose to write your own scripts or custom classes.

I'm looking at one run as I type built with a custom class so trust me, KM7 will certainly allow you to create something like (or better than even) the example you posted