dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash tearing issue!!

flash tearing issue!!

Hello everyone, I'm new here .
    I'm trying to make a game in flash as3, which will have several objects moving around in a certain tempo. I use bitmap class to load the images.

The issue is the objects not display smoothly when moving, but tearing!
    I know it is a well-known issue on games, how to avoid it using as3? I searched on google, all I get is the technology(say, double buffering) to improve performance but not solve the tearing issue.

As I'm new to as3, anyone can help me on this?! Thank you very much in advance.

Ө_ө sleepy mod
    Your processor cant draw the frame as quickly as you're changing it. Try using cacheAsBitmap on things that move around and speed up your framerate (go up to 60 if it helps). If it's still tearing you need to move things more slowly or use less motion per frame.

thanks for the reply. Changing framerate doesn't seem helpful. How can I know what is the right speed to move objects? Is there a best practice?

Not really. As a developer you have to experiment with the environment with what you're doing because each project has it's subtleties about it. So, I recommend just messing with it until you get something fairly clear. I typically use 35 fps and then make whatever I'm working with, work with 35 fps. It's a process sometimes but it gets the job done.

Ө_ө sleepy mod
    The root problem is that flash cant render everything in the amount of time a frame has to display. Lowering the frame rate moves those glitches closer together so they are less noticeable but they dont solve the problem. In order to do that, youll need to make things more efficient. Try smaller images - if something is scaled down, re-export and only use the image at the size Flash needs it. Turn off bitmap smoothing and turn on cache as bitmap. Also try compressing your images, it can make a big difference.