A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I used to be good at Flash.

I used to be good at Flash.

When I was young like most of you. Then I stopped focusing all my attention on action script and redirected it into becoming an engineer. Now I get to build 3d models all day and get paid for it. Still I think of the applications Flash could be used for to integrate work flow processes.

Let me throw this out there to you gurus'. My Idea is to build an app that can input multiple dxf files and output in numeric code. The question may seem simple though the project out come will be very complexed. All the issues in between can be resolved at a later point.

I use version 7, I don't need the code just if it can be done.

If anyone has seen a cad/cam app built in flash let me know.

Or any references to this I would appreciate links too.

As you sound like you are an old git like me, you will probably already be familiar with that old chestnut of a sanity test when choosing to develop software:
    "It may be possible, but it is it a good idea?"

The good news is that I downloaded a DXF file from the web and it appears to be a straight-forward text file... so theoretically it can be read and processed into output for a CNC machine or whatever.

However, 3D rendering takes a lot of computation and Flash is almost certainly _not_ the correct tool to do heavy crunching! :0 Certainly, if you were to do it, you would want to upgrade from Flash 7 to use AS3.0 and so take advantage of the improved computation speed.

It all depends on why you want to use Flash as the interface, and what is supporting it in the back end.

For example, I have built an image analysis software interface using Flash, which is fine for simpler things like colour-cube selection, but it relies on a supporting image-processing server to do the heavy image analysis work. Some kind of hybrid may offer you the advantages of a simple Flash interface with powerful capabilities.

As a parting thought, Flash has no native 3D engine and any real-time rendering of 3D from coordinate systems that I have seen done in Flash has been decidedly limited. Especially when you start having to rotate... and redraw the entire thing every frame.

G

Thanks for the reply G.
    I should have been a tad bit more informative in my question.

The app would have to import DXF files so they can be saved to a database as 2D vector information later to be recalled and aranged in a specified area.

This information will be converted into multipule native numeric code lang.

I dont need the Z information for the parts, only the x, and y. I will need Z information for z axis position. as in move to Zposition=n but only for output.

The machine code will be used on Flat sheet lasers, plasmas, and turrets.
    I know it sounds like I work on a star wars millatary base. trust me it's not that cool.

I have done some reading about this and feel it's possible. Is it a good Idea?

Well my company sent out for quotes on packages that do this and they came back running average $XX,XXX well very steep. If it fails I waisted some time and learnd some stuff. If it works, well that will be cool.