dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Opening a word doc from flash exe (accessing locally)

Exclamation Opening a word doc from flash exe (accessing locally)

I need to open word via a flash movie .exe, i am running windows vista ultimate and flash cs3 (using flash 8 actionscripting 2). I found this post on this forum and it seems to have worked for some people but not me:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=721292

here is what i did:

I am trying this with flash cs3 (saving/publishing in flash 8 format) and windows vista ultimate.

My directory structure is:

-Root folder-
    AC_RunActiveContent.js
    openword.fla
    fscommand
    openword.exe

-fscommand-
    word1.bat
    word1.doc
    word1.exe

my flash file contains one button in the first frame with the following code inside of it:
    on (release) {
    fscommand("exec", "word1.exe");
    }

word1.bat contains the following code in the first line:
    start word1.doc

i downloaded proxy.exe from northcodes link and renamed it to the word.exe and put it in the fscommand folder.

what am I doing wrong???...this is really bothering me, could it be my flash players local settings??...if so how do i access/change the settings?...please help~!!!

Tim (Super Moderator) Northcode's Avatar
    I've seen this on Vista but it doesn't appear to be a problem with Vista because it doesn't affect all applications the same way. So far I've seen this fail with Windows Media Player and Word. It works fine with text files (open in Notepad) and a few other apps that I've tried.

The sympton is that you can use start filespec to launch a document in its default application from the Run dialog or from the command line on Vista but not from a BAT file. When using start fails, the correct application is opened, but the document you wanted to open is nowhere to be seen!

I've mentioned in other posts here that I was going to create a new tool to get around this problem. Well I had some time and it's done, but I need a few volunteers to help test it before I release it on the public.

If you've run across this problem and you're looking for a solution, please send email to support@northcode.com with "Opening files on Vista" in the subject lilne and I'll hook you up.

When the tool is tested and ready for public consumption, I'll make it available on the Northcode blog.

Yes, it will be FREE

Thank You Northcode, ur the man~!!!

I sent you an email with a ZIP attachment. If you have a spam filter that eats attachments I can post it somewhere for you.

Here's the blog post I promised that explains the problem and gives you a free utility to solve it.

Fixing the Windows Start Command in Vista