A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Snapple Website - Fast Load Time - HOW is it Possible?

Snapple Website - Fast Load Time - HOW is it Possible?

Hi all,

If you've come across www.snapple.com, then you know how serious this website is with it's integrated 3D animations.

But, HOW is it possible to integrated 3D movies with such Fast load time in Flash? Does anyone know which 3D app they're using, and how they could compress so much to result in such incredibly fast download time?

When I have a .SWF that's like 5MB in size, the pre-loader takes longer then a trip to China at Snapple.com.

Thanks!!
    -CG

Ah... not sure what you mean.

Snapple content starts with a 500KB pre-loader, and the first movie is 2.5 MB. If you go to London (for example) it loads another 4 MB along the way and if you go to Africa (another 3MB) you find you have to load over 2MB to view the drinks shelf...

I would guess that the only difference is that they may use a slightly more sophisticated preloader than most and start playing when a calculated number of frames are available rather than waiting for the whole thing.

G

have it start playing after like 70% and guesstimate that by the time they need to remaining content the 30% remaining will be done preloading... thats how I would make it seem "faster" preloader.
    visit my portfolio and sign my guestbook!!

Thanks for the info... the pre-loader concept makes sense, i agree... however:

1. How did you determine the movie file sizes?
    2. If those sizes are accurate, how the heck do they make such deep, rich animations and compress to just a few MBs, and still maintain excellent quality?? I mean, my friend is using Truespace, and a 90 frame avi file (3 second), at Reso:800x600, is like 50 Megs. 1 frame is like 600K. Snapple has like 10 second clips - how do they compress to only 4MB??

THANKS!

convert your movies (.avi, .mov, etc) to .flv (flash video)

gparis

THANK YOU so much for all the responses!

I cannot believe I've overlooked FLV this whole time. I just converted a 40MB avi file down to like 450kb!! How in the world??

That's almost 100 times compression?!? I just cannot imagine how it's possible.
    Now it's all very clear how these intense websites do it...

THANKS!!
    -CG