A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] Preloader doesn't work

[F8] Preloader doesn't work

I have tried two different preloaders now and they both do the same thing. A blank white box lasts for about a minute, then the preloader shows up for a fraction of a second, then the game loads.

Here's my setup. There are two layers. On the first and second frame of the top layer, I have the bar directly on the stage. Frame two has the following code in the frame:

Code:
    if (_root.getBytesTotal() != _root.getBytesLoaded()){
    gotoAndPlay(1); 
    }
    bar_mc._xscale = (_root.getBytesLoaded()/_root.getBytesTotal())*100;
    The third frame has a stop command in the top layer, and the game code begins in the bottom layer.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

you probably have things exported for actionscript and export in first frame. Go to your library and uncheck "export in first frame", then drag all your export content from the library onto a blank frame which will never be seen.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Quote Originally Posted by mr_malee
    you probably have things exported for actionscript and export in first frame. Go to your library and uncheck "export in first frame", then drag all your export content from the library onto a blank frame which will never be seen.

Ok, I unchecked all of the "export in first frame" and dragged everything into a blank frame, but now the preloader bar just stays on the screen and none of the elements load.

Ok, so does the blank fram have to come BEFORE the rest of my code? because that seems to have fixed that problem at least. Ok I will test this and let you know, either way, thanks! You have always been the most helpful user on this board.

if all else fails, create an external preloader. I can't help without seeing the fla,

the setup should be:

first frame: (preloader code)
    second frame: all assets
    third frame: initialization
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Quote Originally Posted by mr_malee
    if all else fails, create an external preloader. I can't help without seeing the fla,

the setup should be:

first frame: (preloader code)
    second frame: all assets
    third frame: initialization

Ok, I got it working. The problem was that the preloader I was using for some reason had me using the first 2 frames instead of just the first one. Thanks for the help, I'll send you an early link to my game before it goes live.