dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Just Launched - Too Early?

Challenging Convention Andology's Avatar

Just Launched - Too Early?

Hi peeps...

Been a reasonably long time in the making (mainly coz it's just been me working on it single handedly as & when i get the time)...

Anyway, there's still a few things to add into the site, but for all intents & purposes, 90% of it is there & waiting. Just need to see if i have missed anything and all is working as it should be.

There's a few complex things running deep inside the site and almost impossible for me to test every element / eventuality of it thoroughly.

Check it out - http://www.JoopMedia.com

All comments welcome.

Cheers guys, i appreciate your time, if you have a post running on this board, please leave me your link & i'll go take a look in return.

Thanks again,

Andy
    The Andology Corporation Ltd
    Challenging Convention
    Fusion of Business & Technology

Joop Media - The Final Link In The Chain

It loaded incredibly fast for what you have loading up front. I would say that the video is a bit over-compressed though. Type selections seem to be all over though, imho. Pixel fonts on the interface, then (say Services)... one type for the header (Services), one for the internal type, one for the blurb across the top on top of the pixel fonts.

And the images don't compliment the layout too well. They're done well, but just don't seem as integrated as the rest of the site - buttons, background, interface, and even pop-up interface on the presenter. Those seem to be one direction, the section backgrounds don't really match the synergy of that.

Sorta surprised that you didn't use SWFAddress or URLKit (or BrowserManager if you're using Flex) to allow for deeplinking possibilities to your site.

Overall, it's nicely done actually, loads fast, uses a darker than (as of late) website palette, but it's not bad.

A few more places to polish and I'd consider it a hit.

Good work.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Challenging Convention Andology's Avatar
    Hi gerbick,

Thanks for spending the time dude... Just a couple of clarification questions:

When you talk about the "video compression" are you referring to the website presenter or the actual movie database of movies? - the movies section analyses your internet connection while it's streaming in the first movie, and if it looks like it's gonna take a while, it asks you if you want to switch to the more compressed versions of the movies that will load faster (but not sure if you got that far in the site)...

Also, i'm not sure i understand the background image issue... Obviously i have tried to keep the interface reasonably consistant with the main buttons along the top, the presenter controls, the main movie controls (norm view & full screen controls) but don't see how the background images "don't gel" with it all.. Could you give me an example of type / style of BG images that you feel 'would' suit better so i can understand what you mean?

I totally agree with the whole use of fonts.. I won't claim that typography is my strongest point or anything, but i will have a look at limiting the font use to around 3 max.

In regard to the deep linking, i have built in provisions for that within the interface structure of the site, but as of yet, have not done anything with it..

There is an HTML version that so far i have just built the interface using regular HTML / tables & css and will start cracking on with that once i am happy with the flash version (see sneak preview here http://www.joopmedia.com/Clients/html_5/ ) - at the moment, the whole thing wieghs in at under 20k for what you see there right now - & that includes the button over states that are pre-loaded..

Anyway, it would be really handy to have some clarification on the stuff above, and in the meantime, thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Andy
    The Andology Corporation Ltd
    Challenging Convention
    Fusion of Business & Technology

Joop Media - The Final Link In The Chain

SWFObject / SWFAddress ... too many pages on this site to not have them SEO compliant or indexed on google individually.

Besides that ... and how I personally thought the video avatar guy gimmick died a thankful death a few years ago ... the site's pretty cool. A bit retro-flash-2002 but I like the style, may turn some others off though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andology
    When you talk about the "video compression" are you referring to the website presenter or the actual movie database of movies? - the movies section analyses your internet connection while it's streaming in the first movie, and if it looks like it's gonna take a while, it asks you if you want to switch to the more compressed versions of the movies that will load faster (but not sure if you got that far in the site)...
    It's already compressed quite a bit. I see a lot of compression artifacts on the standard video avatar. I'd truly hate to see it even more compressed.

Also, i'm not sure i understand the background image issue... Obviously i have tried to keep the interface reasonably consistant with the main buttons along the top, the presenter controls, the main movie controls (norm view & full screen controls) but don't see how the background images "don't gel" with it all.. Could you give me an example of type / style of BG images that you feel 'would' suit better so i can understand what you mean?
    Like I said... go to the Services page... then look at the interface - which is modern and has good depth (shallow) and sharp focus - and then look at the background for that section... it uses soft focus and multiple fonts.

It doesn't match at all.

In regard to the deep linking, i have built in provisions for that within the interface structure of the site, but as of yet, have not done anything with it..
    I'd seriously consider this a soft-launch and pull a full launch with that in place.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]