A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Out of a Rut?

Getting Out of a Rut?

What do you do to get out of a Rut?

Go get a lapdance.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Unless your "rut" is a financial one... then that's the worst advice ever.

Plot out my paths, pick a different one. And gardening.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

prostitutes and liquor.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Exercise.

And, this is going to sound gay, but Pixar's shorts do the trick too. Go watch Presto.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

3 cans of soda followed by a 25 minute nap. when you wake up the caffine will be in full effect, your mind will be racing.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Maybe a upbeat southern church. They are draggy and depressing here.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Jack Daniels.

put a cat in a microwave and enjoy
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Shoot a gun.

Run.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    3 to 5 day bender.

although since I have had a kid I haven't had the chance to fall in a rut.. which is fine.. but I do kind of miss the benders.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

1. Have manageable goals.
    If you can't get started because the task overwhelms you, break it down into small, manageable bites. You don't have to solve the problems of the world in 5 minutes. Take it one step at a time. For example, job hunting - that most terrifying of activities. Today's goal is simply to find your resume. Once that's done, relax and give yourself permission to enjoy the rest of the day! Tomorrow, you look up a name and number. The next day, you work on your resume for fifteen minutes. A day later, you call the number you looked up. And so on. At the end of a week, make a list of all you've accomplished and admire it! You may be surprised at how a little each day can add up!

2. Go ahead - argue with yourself.
    Be your own best friend. Every time you say "I can't" - disagree! There is no law that says you have to agree with everything you think or say! Get creative. Aloud, in writing, or by taking action - note all the ways that you can - no matter how ridiculous or outrageous! For example, I know that climbing Mount Everest would help me get in shape! Brainstorm - each thought leads to another! Even if you start with completely silly and unrealistic, coming up with any opposition to a "can't" gives it less power and brings you closer to the positive!

3. Break the rhythm by changing your routine.
    You need a jump start, so take action. Do something you've never done before. Go on a hike or to the opera. Eat something you can't pronounce. Or go even further. Want to date? Put in a personal ad. Want a new career? Sign up for a class. Upset the norm somehow! And remember, you don't have to do this alone. Enlist a friend. Sometimes making plans with a friend will help you break out and do something new! Free yourself from your mind's rut and go for it!

4. Ask yourself, "What are my obstacles to moving on?"
    Understanding what's blocking you can help in forming a counter-attack. Are the obstacles of your own making? Are there any external obstacles? Differentiate between the factors that you have control over and those you don't. Put aside the factors you have no power over, and address the ones you do. Fighting what can't be changed is discouraging, depressing and will lead to feelings of hopelessness. Put your energy into what can be changed, and you will be encouraged and revitalized by the progress you will then be able to make.

5. Make an appointment with yourself.
    Pick a time of day when you're at your best. Tomorrow at 11:00, I will spend 15 minutes -writing / cleaning / exercising / making phone calls / apartment hunting. Whatever! Turn off the phone if you have to and clear that time for yourself. You don't have to do anything more to achieve your objective for the rest of the day - just put in that 15 minutes! If you don't keep the appointment with yourself this time, then next time, don't bother writing down the appointment - make it for NOW!

6. Your surroundings can have a powerful impact on the psyche.
    Sometimes a change of scene can help revive and inspire you. It's amazing the power new surroundings have to renew and refresh the spirit. And you don't have to travel to the far reaches of the universe either. If Tahiti is not an option, try sitting in a different chair at home, taking a different route to work, or working at the library. New perspectives are at your fingertips!

7. Make bribery work for you!
    Reward yourself with a treat if you reach your day's target. Some of us will do anything for chocolate. But don't worry if you're not a chocolate doesn't appeal to you - treats don't have to be fattening! Instead of food, use something else. Imagine - if you reach your day's target early, you can play hooky! You can go to a movie, take a walk in the park, go shopping, or surf the net - because you're free!

8. If you're trapped in an emotional "loop", such as anger at a friend or sorrow after a break-up, try distracting yourself when you feel the loop starting again - grab a book, watch a movie, call a friend.
    Talk to the person you're upset with, or if that is not an option, write a letter without mailing it. If, after a time proportionate to the situation has long passed, you are still having trouble getting off your emotional carousel, consider seeking professional help in order to find resolution or the strength to walk away. Looping wastes a tremendous amount of time and prevents you from finding satisfaction elsewhere in your life.

9. Relax. De-stress. Take the pressure off yourself.
    Sometimes you need to give yourself a break from the constant nagging, and those shoulda's, woulda's, and coulda's that you keep running through your mind. Chastising yourself is clearly not helping you actually get anything done, not to mention that it's depressing and bad for your emotional well-being. So cut yourself some slack, do things to make yourself feel good, and when you've left behind all those shoulda's, think about what you really want, and go to another number on this list!

10. You didn't think you'd get through this list without reading about the tried and true, take one day at a time.
    Don't try to accomplish a lifetime's work in an hour. That will only make everything seem hopeless. Take care of today. And don't worry about yesterday. Yesterday is over. If you wish you'd done something different yesterday - remember that tomorrow, yesterday will be today! Because basically, all your tomorrows and yesterdays start today! If you do something today, then tomorrow you won't need to feel bad about yesterday!
    mmm signature

alcohol and blue cheese. seriously.

sex always helps me
    "All men are equal. All men, that is, who possess umbrellas."
    E.M. Forster

^Pretending I have a sex life on the internet.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    Go Rut it out !!!

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.