A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help... brand new to Flash

Help... brand new to Flash

I am EXTREMELY new to Flash. I've only opened it about four times, and just messed around with it.

I have CS3, and a really stupid question... can someone PLEASE explain Action Script to me? Every time I look up a tutorial on Flash, they mention it and movie clips, but my Flash keeps telling me that my movie clips can't use Action Script. I'm really lost, and I'm really willing to learn Action Script. Why can't my movie clips use Action Script? In CS3, can movie clips not use Action Script?

Sorry again for the dumb question... but like I said, I'm BRAND NEW to the use of Flash.

It's not a dumb question, don't worry. It's just a matter of the version of Actionscript you are using. In AS1 and AS2, timeline objects could have actions placed on them, but this was bad coding practice. People preferred code that was mainly all in one spot and easily accessible, so that you did not have to hunt around to find it.
    With the new version of actionscript, adobe figured that since it was bad coding practice, it would not allow it at all. All code must be on the timeline or (more advanced) in class files.
    If youre looking for tutorials on the internet, make sure to specify actionscript 3. Some good places for tutorials are kirupa.com, gotoandlearn.com and of course google is always helpful.

Just a note - messing around is actually a great way to learn with flash, and probably, although they may deny it, how just about everyone started out. So keep on messing around, never be afraid to ask for help, and get interested in what you're doing and creating. You'll learn faster than you'd think.

Cheers,
    Mavrisa
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

Programmer
    yea thats how i started off ...just messing about

Try making a simple button that plays the time line.
    then kind of build on that .

and don't be scared to ask people on the forum to help with code or just search it.

i do action script 2 so ill intro that ...

Basically action script is Put on a KeyFrame on the TimeBar , on a button or even a movie clip.

example on button to open a website

you would create button and add a event function

e.g

Code:
    on (release) {
    }
    then add the GetURL function and fill in the values..in this case the website name.

e.g

Code:
    on (release) {
    	getURL("http://www.google.com");
    }

the way i learned action script was the built in help examples on flash and , using this forum

Hope this helps
    Last edited by hunty93; 08-08-2008 at 10:29 PM.
    Freelance: AS2, AS3, PHP, MySQL, JavaScript

http://flashwebdesigntips.blog
    Just regularly browse the forum and look at tutorial files to learn the basics! Youll improve fast

Button help

In order to make a button, make a square, select it, hit F8, select the "button" option, hit OK. Put this code on the object:
    Code:
    on(release){
    gotoAndPlay("//insert the keyframe label you want to go to here//")
    }