A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dynamic Text Speech Bubble

Dynamic Text Speech Bubble

I have made a speech bubble and I was wondering if there were any way to when i rollover my button have the speech bubble pop up, dynamically change sizes depending on the number of characters, and display the instance name i have given it.

thanks for your thoughts.

Ive done this a few times for a few applications. You will need to utilize the draw API if you want to make it super-sleek. I always did it with a fixed-width multiline textfield, and then set the height of the bubble that you draw to equal the height of the text, after you populate the textfield with your dynamic text. It's kind of a painful drawn out implementation, but it's simple if you just break it down to small pieces and do a little at a time.

I am still trying to figure out how to accomplish this... Do you have any examples or know of any tutorials I can view?

If you rollover the tv screens at http://bud.tv . I used the draw api to make it dynamic enough to accept XML and different color values and whatnot... there wasn't a tutorial that I know of, I wrote it from scratch.