A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Play part of soundfile when editing

Play part of soundfile when editing

Flash 8.

I'm trying to do a karaoke-type thingy, with words flying in and out in time to the music (and later, animations above the words. Once the lyrics are in place, it'll be easier to sort out the animations because I'll already have keyframes in the relevant places in the timeline). All the graphics stuff I'm happy with, but what I'd like to know is:

Is it possible to play part of the soundfile when previewing an edit? Obviously a major part of what I'm doing involves adding / removing frames to get everything synchronised with the music, but whenever I preview, I get silence unless I start at frame 1. This is irritating enough for the first couple of lyrics, but if I have to do this by the end of verse 3, I'll be tearing my hair out in frustration!

The sound is a 3 1/2 minute mp3, imported as an object, sitting in the timeline in a layer of its own.

if you set the sound to "stream" sync in the sound properties inspector, you should be able to start playback at any point within the sound, and also scrub the timeline and hear the music.