A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Security Settings workaround

Security Settings workaround

Does anyone have a workaround for the flash security settings? I am on a closed system so I don't have access to the internet and I am constantly getting the annoying gray box. I also do not have access to the computer it is running on so I can't put anything on the computer. Does anyone have any solutions for this?

AS3 Mod
    What security settings? You should be more detailed about what exactly is popping up and what problem your having.

I have attached the image of the popup I am getting. I am running the Flash 6 due to client requirements. They are on a secure system so I cannot update the security settings.

I am sure people have had this trouble in the past and cannot figure out a solution. I hope this helps in understanding my dilemma.

Thanks for the response.

this has to do with a LOCAL flash file being played that is trying to access the internet.

what does the flash file trying to do?

you can add your drive/path/folder to the trusted sites settings and that should work..however that will only work on your machine

I have two flash players on a page. One is trying to access a URL, the other is just playing images and text. I am getting two security popups on the page. I am running this application in a secure facility and do not have access to their computers.

well if you cant access the internet..how can you get a URL? or expect Flash to get to the URL?

also, are the images on-line? on the internet somewhere on a different domain?

I dont understand what you mean by you dont have access to their computers..

Let me give you a little bit of background on this. I neglected to tell you about the project. I am building a course for a client that is using a SIPRNET to run the application. The course is flash and HTML based (using Toolbook as the wrapper). The flash objects consist of text and images, none of which is being imported, they are all part of the flash movie. One of the movies is calling a URL within the SIPRNET. I am getting the error message whenever they run the course. They cannot upgrade their players and browsers for security purposes. The students will be using this course at their local machines. Therefore, I do not have access to the machines in question. Hopefully this will give you a little bit more insight into what i am dealing with.

ahh..yes I see a little more now.. however I have no experience with SIPRNET or with Toolbook unfortunately..

So its trying to call a LOCAL URL.. is it liek:

/someServer/someDirectory/filename?

or you do have an internal web server running?

Im wondering if you can use: allowDomain (security.allowDomain method)

type ofsecurity setting in the .swf.. however Im reaching..and its ONLy a suggestion.

Thanks. It didn't work. I am at a loss as to what to do with this...

did you answer the questions? and what code did you try to use?

Id liek to try and re-creat the same scenerio on my network..

you have a LOCAL .fla/.swf on your desktop..

that needs to access/grab data (images).. anything else I shouldcheck/try to do?

and you HAVE saved/exported to MX (FP6) for your project...correct?

The code I used in the flash movie is:

System.security.allowDomain();

It did not work. I am not importing any files, images or text. They are all embedded in the flash movie. I have a flash movie that is trying to call a URL within the SIPRNET system.

I have the html pages in a folder called ns7. The flash movies are in a folder one level up in a media folder. I have to run this application on a computer that does not have the windows updated so that I can replicate what is being transmitted on the secure system. It is all in Flash 6.

This is a course to be used by students who do not necessarily have a web application running it. It could just be hanging on a drive they all have access to.

Quote Originally Posted by injun
    The code I used in the flash movie is:

System.security.allowDomain();

It did not work. I am not importing any files, images or text. They are all embedded in the flash movie. I have a flash movie that is trying to call a URL within the SIPRNET system.

I have the html pages in a folder called ns7. The flash movies are in a folder one level up in a media folder. I have to run this application on a computer that does not have the windows updated so that I can replicate what is being transmitted on the secure system. It is all in Flash 6.

This is a course to be used by students who do not necessarily have a web application running it. It could just be hanging on a drive they all have access to.
    what did you put inside the paranthesises
    System.security.allowDomain("url");
    If you don't think you're going to like the answer, then don't ask the question.

I didn't put anything in there. If it's on a drive should I be putting the drive path in there?

hit [F1] in flash and search for how it is used..

(Flash Player 8 only) "*"
    You can pass a wildcard ("*") to System.security.allowDomain() to allow all domains, including local hosts, access to the calling SWF file. Before using the wildcard, be sure that you want to provide such broad access to the calling SWF file. See the discussion in the main description of this method.
    not even sure if its needed for MX (Flash Player 6)

It worked like a champ when I published it in html!! Amazing. Thanks for your help.

I assume it would have worked if you had made a projector exe out of it too.
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

But how would I make a projector out of it and how would I embed it into an html file if it's an executable?

Quote Originally Posted by injun
    But how would I make a projector out of it
    look on the first tab under file>publish settings. you can select exe as an output.
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection