A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [CS3] Linking each movie clip to a different URL?

Question [CS3] Linking each movie clip to a different URL?

Hi everyone --

I'm hoping to find some assistance here on this forum. I would appreciate any help I can get at this point as I'm at my wits end here!

What I'm trying to create is a flash movie that has images that fade in and fade out. When a movie clip scene starts I want that scene to link to a URL. When the next scene starts I want a new link to a different URL, next scene the same thing and so on throughout my movie. It's like an image slideshow, but each transition there's a new link. Please see attached for the movie to see it in action. Here's what I want to accomplish:

1. Movie clip (scene1 fades in and then fades out) - no URL This is the starter scene. Just a simple welcome image.

2. Movie clip (scene2 fades in and fades out) - When the scene starts there needs to be a link to a URL to purchase the product.

3. Movie clip (scene3 fades in and fades out) - Another, but different URL to a different product.

4. Movie clip (scene4 fades in and fades out) - Another, but different URL.

5. Movie clip (scene5 fades in and fades out) - Another, but different URL.

If you watch my movie you will see how each fade in and fade out. I want the link active while each movie clip fades in and then fades out.

Is this possible? I have each set up as movie clips and each start after the other ends, but do they need to be buttons? I've tried creating an invisible button which is active during the scenes in question, but I get errors saying that there are extra characters at the end. I've tried making the movie clip itself link but that doesn't seem to work either. What can I do to make each scene (movie clip) link to a different URL?

Thanks so much,
    Ally
    Attached Files Attached Files

is there a reason why u r using many scenes? are you images import n2 flash or loaded externally?
    If you don't think you're going to like the answer, then don't ask the question.

Quote Originally Posted by EQFlash
    is there a reason why u r using many scenes? are you images import n2 flash or loaded externally?
    Hi thank you for replying.
    The answer to your question: Because I wanted the images to fade in and fade out. I created each as a separate image then applied a motion tween for the fade in and fade out effect. Sort of like an image slideshow. I imported them into Flash.

how do you want them to fade? in and out or crossfade?
    If you don't think you're going to like the answer, then don't ask the question.

how do you want them to fade? in and out or crossfade?
    I attached my swf file to my initial post.

Image 1 fades in from black to full image and then fades back out to black. Image 2 then fades in from black to full image and then fades back out to black. This continues through the rest of the images and then loops to start over again. See the attachment above for my example (scene_header.zip). This is going to be a header for a webpage.

ok let me throw something togther for ya

Okay thank you.

I got it working!

WOOT WOOT! Wanted to give an update...

I got it figured out! Something so flippin simple too! My document was set up for Flash 9 and AS3, when in fact I needed to use Flash 8 and AS2 and then put my getURL "onto my invisible button" -- i was putting the AS on the frame itself and not on the button! Gosh something so simple has taken me 3 days to hash out! Sheesh!

Well, at least I can say I have definitely learned something in all of this!

Thanks again...I got it!
    Ally

Outstanding! glad it worked out