dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] so how should i build my game??

Arrow [F8] so how should i build my game??

I have been looking through the SFS/ES4 documentation and searching though the forums and i have gotten confused, my problem is that i want to build a multiplayer game similar to club penguin and ***** hotel however i have found different ways of creating the game, question is which one should i use for best in security, reducing lag, easy to modify and add new stuff, easy to create, etc. i have found two ways i could possilby do it

Way 1
    I make seperate swf such as inventory, player, weapons, etc and import then use the loadmovie function to bring it all together into 1 fla

Way 2

I make everthing on one fla such as inventory, player, etc however i think this way will be hard for me to update and add new stuff such as armour, etc

if there is any other way or the ways i suggested to created the multiplayer game which has high security, reduces lag, and i can easily add stuff such as armour, plz enlighten me with your knowledge thank you in advance

I think way 1 is better, but that's just my opinion. But I do have one question for you...how are you planning to bring all the players together, like club penguin??

Student
    I´d rather avoid seperate swf files because they are to powerfull and thereby to often abused. For example with a external swf files you can
    - include code
    - leave stuff invisible on the stage (but turns visible on the loadMovie part)

instead better try to load minimalistic data such as database entries (AMF php is a good way to go), GIF/PNG or JPEG images.
    If you need animations either as sprite sheet or in rare exceptions as swf files with just 1 timeline.

But perhaps this also depends on what you main graphics editor is,- if you work alot with Flash and vector graphics avoiding swf is hardly impossible. If you however use rendered or Photoshopped graphics (bitmap data) external GIF/PNG or JPEG images are the way to go. Also check out the movieClipLoader object,- loadMovie is outdated and shouldn´t be used because it has many disadvantages.
    Last edited by renderhjs; 06-25-2008 at 12:45 PM.

first i would like to thank you for taking notice in my thread and the advice given is helpful although would using Way 2 create lag as the file could turn out to be a large swf also wouldnt it be hard to add stuff such as weapons and armour, etc? and would it provied very good security?

renderhjs could i use true and false to make the items visible and invisible whe not used or perhaps you could suggest a way in which i could do it

thanks for the advice and thank you in advance

p.s i found another way in which i could do it check this out http://www.smartfoxserver.com/docs/i...ild_mmo_p1.htm and create it similar to the Shell-based application way
    Last edited by Irontigerz; 06-26-2008 at 08:25 AM.

well thats goood, good luck to you...
    p.s. if you have a preloader, wouldn't that get rid of lag

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    I think the question with lag is trying to operate multiple swf's on a single page. I've run into trouble before when doing this because it's almost like all the active swf's take resources from a single limited pool. So if one swf ran at 41 fps, two might run at 30 each. Ramping up the fps is NOT a solution to this problem, either. I'd go with way two, and use sqldb or XML for updating data. XML is laughably easy to update and change once you get a knack for it.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Quote Originally Posted by Irontigerz
    Way 2 create lag as the file could turn out to be a large swf also wouldnt it be hard to add stuff such as weapons and armour, etc? and would it provied very good security?

renderhjs could i use true and false to make the items visible and invisible whe not used or perhaps you could suggest a way in which i could do it

p.s i found another way in which i could do it check this out http://www.smartfoxserver.com/docs/i...ild_mmo_p1.htm and create it similar to the Shell-based application way
    using way 2 would create lag depending on the file size however as for adding new stuff issue, i do not know about that maybe the other flashkitters and tell you more about the security and adding new stuff, and using true and false statements are the only way to make things inivisible and visible, but perhaps there is another and someone could correct me

also is it possilbe to merge shellbased application way and Way 2?

I think you should load swf's to take movieclips and vars out of them to make them a part of your game also textfiles to load vars.

way 1 it will make it harder for others to copy your game if you have them in seperate files. On this forum i guy talks about a guy who stole his game change the title and welcome screen and won a prize for it.

Knows where you live
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmagames
    way 1 it will make it harder for others to copy your game if you have them in seperate files. On this forum i guy talks about a guy who stole his game change the title and welcome screen and won a prize for it.
    That's not going to be an issue for a game that connects to a server. Flash's cross domain policies wont allow any connections from domains that you do not allow.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

you can also locksite, and encrypt your game nobody will be able to steal it that way.

quick question! for the graphics should i use vector or bitmap, if i use vector will it cause problems for colouring items by using code (setRGB), and other issues or shall i use bitmap?

also i have heard that using vector requires the flash player to do more work and bitmap will be bigger in file size

Student
    try it out for yourself,- that´s the best lesson and expierence you can get. It´s really hard to say what´s best because it can depend on so many smal factors.

also i have heard that using vector requires the flash player to do more work and bitmap will be bigger in file size
    yes true,- vectors are usually stored as math equations or just variables which need to be constructed and thereby rendered on each frame they move/rotate ect.
    Bitmaps on the other hand are rather plain they consist of a array of pixels and because the way they are stored (linear) is plain it can be easier accelerated intern in the player. The downside just like you said is that the filesize might be larger because each pixel needs to be stored with it´s color and perhaps alpha information - that´s alot to store even with compression techniques.

But you can also mix them booth,- for example with teh
    PHP Code:
    myMovieClip.cacheAsBitmap true
    you can tell the flash player to store the vector graphics or text or images within that movieClip as bitmap so it most propably will scroll way faster. It sucks though if you rotate or scale it. But just moving work good with this technqiue.

anoter possibility is to work with bitmap data,-
    http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/8/ma...=00001527.html
    but read that up yourself if that interests you.

would using the BitmapData class cause problems with saving and loading data and varibles such as money, skin colour, items, etc?

Student
    I guess that depends ( like always ),
    just write a propper initialation function that sets or transforms your sprites to the desired state beforehead.

If you feel not comfortable with bitmapData because its to much programming think of another way that fits you skills.

if i was to use vector graphics and also use the
    Code:
    myMovieClip.cacheAsBitmap = true;
    would it still require the flash player to do more work also could i ask what type of graphics you used for the zelda engine