A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [CS3] Non grid isometric movement

[CS3] Non grid isometric movement

Hi

im using AS2, in cs3 and want to make the controls so you move like in the direction shown in the file, any amend ments made to the file will be great, thanks

funky

non grid isometric, if there are any tuts or anything that may help me, it will be great thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

but that kind of helped but most of the stuff was with grid, i couldnt see the use of the keyboard with it, does it have to use arrays?

i used this tutorial http://www.kirupa.com/developer/isom...y_movement.htm

modified the numbers so x and y are inverted, senocular seems to like y in x direction and x in y. Not sure which is correct, but to me a positive x points right-up, and a positive y points right-down.

I made some changes / removed from things form the fla, so don't write over your old version. Open it up and look at the player's code.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

ok thanks for that mate, i had to change it a bit cos it wouldnt work on my mc and it was doggey when i had a stop on the frame, but its working now, i just have to add hittests to it now! whey

np, I'd really recommend reading through that tutorial series, you really need to if your isometric game is going to get more complex.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by mr_malee
    np, I'd really recommend reading through that tutorial series, you really need to if your isometric game is going to get more complex.

good luck
    ok thanks, the game is portal for the orange box game i am making the programmer i have didnt know how to make non grid isometric movment, thanks i will read up on it cos there will be portal teleports and platforms and turrets.

I agree with Mr Malee. You need to identify early on the scope of your game.

I did some work on isometric movement that you can view here:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=751567

The output on the screen shows what's going on and I think will be helpful for you. The managing of depths is a whole different story. You mentioned platforms. If you are going to be able to walk behind them, you will need to create a custom depth manager in AS2.

I also did an experiment in AS3 and found that the display object is much easier to use in solving depth problems. You can view my demo where you drag around some squares and you will see the correct sorting and stacking.
    http://www.tangerinepop.com/experiments/AS3/IsoDrag/

Once I did this demo, I abandoned the idea of a custom manager in AS2. Why do all that work to only render it useless when we move to AS3.... We decided to leave out slopes and elevated floors in this release. The next version will be in AS3 and will include multi level floors.

Hope this helps.

TJ
    The Early Bird may get the worm, but the second mouse to the trap gets the cheese...

Quote Originally Posted by Gohloum
    I agree with Mr Malee. You need to identify early on the scope of your game.

I did some work on isometric movement that you can view here:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=751567

The output on the screen shows what's going on and I think will be helpful for you. The managing of depths is a whole different story. You mentioned platforms. If you are going to be able to walk behind them, you will need to create a custom depth manager in AS2.

I also did an experiment in AS3 and found that the display object is much easier to use in solving depth problems. You can view my demo where you drag around some squares and you will see the correct sorting and stacking.
    http://www.tangerinepop.com/experiments/AS3/IsoDrag/

Once I did this demo, I abandoned the idea of a custom manager in AS2. Why do all that work to only render it useless when we move to AS3.... We decided to leave out slopes and elevated floors in this release. The next version will be in AS3 and will include multi level floors.

Hope this helps.

TJ
    ok thanks for your help, i dont think i am ready to start as3 and the game is all in as2 atm, i will read throught the links you gave me, i wouldnt get thorugh without you guys!