A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to create this kind of flash tutorials?

Question How to create this kind of flash tutorials?

Hi,

I am totally new to flash and want to be able to create tutorials like below:

http://www.cosmeo.com/welcome/popups/textbook.html

How is this done? Through ActionScript programming or using Adobe Captivate to screen capture drawing in a paint program? I tried the latter approach but ended up with large .swf files (almost 1MB for a 1 minute tutorial). Any other idea?

Thanks in advance,
    Yogesh

That example just looks to be a big timeline animation drawn in Flash. You wouldn't need much actual scripting.

To me it seems like someone wrote a little app for all of that stuff - those kinds of things are not too difficult using the Drawing API in Flash (check it - http://www.actionscript.org/resource...sh/Page1.html). The background image is probably a scanned-in piece of paper (XML can be used for all of that so that you can update the "tutorial" without having to go back into the Flash).
    No one can write that well/fast using a mouse, so she's probably using a Wacom Tablet for the drawing (you can hear clickings in the background).

That's a pretty cool thing cosmic, it kinda makes me want to write one just for fun!
    1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino is a portal of Hell.

just a really long, complicated flash animation. nothing special
    The Commando was here

Let's suppose there's 50 lessons in this particular series. It would take at least 45 times as long to create 50 "really long, complicated flash animation"(s) than it would to write an app, use a Wacom Tablet & record it with something like ScreenMimic. Put some time into learning about the Drawing API & similar functions, throw in some XML, & you've got one single file that (with the use of ScreenMimic or the like) will produce literally an infinite number of lessons.

For someone to have a series of lessons such as those created as timeline animations would be a tragic waste of time.

& while you certainly could create that using the timeline, it would certainly not be the most efficient, or re-usable method.
    1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino is a portal of Hell.