A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Design: A Thankless Profession?

Design: A Thankless Profession?

Is design a thankless profession?
    Last edited by An Artist; 06-21-2010 at 05:27 AM.

Does your boss have any formal training in graphic design or specialize at all in that area? Instead of changing careers, you should try to find an employer who's on the same page as you.

I'm on the backend side of things. To some, I can imagine that since it can't be seen, it isn't valued as much. I really like programming and it's something I do even when I'm not working, so while I use feedback to improve my skillset, it's not something that changes my interest.
    Last edited by Genesis F5; 08-15-2008 at 06:28 PM.

if you're not getting kudos you're not doing good enough.

you're right though, there are some people who just don't get what designers do. I experience it every day and the conversation usually goes like:
    THEM: "hey, can you change this/create this/do that"
    ME: ..."sure, when do you need it"
    THEM:..."now"
    ME:..."yeah, that's not going to happen, i can get it to you by xx"
    THEM:..."but it's just a _____"
    ME:..."but this is what i have to do to do that"
    THEM:..."but i need it because of this""
    ME:..."i know you do, but it's going to take this much time and i have others who have requested things before you and i just have to add you to my queue"
    THEM:..."ok, fine"

and then it sometimes goes like this after i have completed their job by pushing other priorities down the list...
    THEM: "oh sorry, i forgot to let you know i don't need that until next week"
    ME: ..."douche"

If you're good enough - attitude and aptitude - then you'd receive accolades, or just know deep-down that you've done a good job and won't look outside of yourself for a pat on the back.

Simply put... take the fact that you still have a job and maintain your position. That's your first "thanks" right there. Not all managers give proper thanks. Not all co-workers know how the intricate details that go into your work.

Be happy that the doors haven't closed on you yet; the rest is just extra.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    if you're not getting kudos you're not doing good enough.

you're right though, there are some people who just don't get what designers do. I experience it every day and the conversation usually goes like:
    THEM: "hey, can you change this/create this/do that"
    ME: ..."sure, when do you need it"
    THEM:..."now"
    ME:..."yeah, that's not going to happen, i can get it to you by xx"
    THEM:..."but it's just a _____"
    ME:..."but this is what i have to do to do that"
    THEM:..."but i need it because of this""
    ME:..."i know you do, but it's going to take this much time and i have others who have requested things before you and i just have to add you to my queue"
    THEM:..."ok, fine"

and then it sometimes goes like this after i have completed their job by pushing other priorities down the list...
    THEM: "oh sorry, i forgot to let you know i don't need that until next week"
    ME: ..."douche"
    I can assure you, I'm good at what I do. I did get kudos from people. One person said "I was brilliant" behind my back. I am so grateful that one of my "friends" in the company told me she said that. Of course, she is leaving the organization now.

But you are right about non-designers. They think it takes not time at all to do this type of work. It took me along time to figure that one out.

well then you have one of two problems, your boss doesn't like you or you are expecting too much praise for just doing your job.

Sounds more like an employer problem than a profession problem. If you don't feel appreciated, look for a new job.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Personally, I'd take the pay-cheque as thanks enough.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

*puts on digg shield*
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Then again.... there is the possibility that your work just sucks.

What? I'm just being honest.

<3
    If you feel that your profession is thankless and you have isolated your boss as the 'one to blame' for this feeling, then I think that your boss is a prick. It doesn't matter what profession it is - crap boss is crap (or at least a boss that's crap at recognising work efforts).

However, you need to elaborate on the first post as to what kind of 'thank you' you are after. A payrise? A certificate? More benefits? A pat on the back?

The next thing to come to mind is that not everyone is going to understand where you are coming from. That's just the way the world is. Not everyone is going to be equal in terms of how good they are at creating/spotting good design or reading body language etc

Perhaps you can try and 'speak' in your boss' language. For example, when designing a website, talk about how good design is important for various reasons...then tie that up with how much money they'll make in the next quarter and how good they will look as the boss. Or something.

/rant.

(reading this post, I feel like as if I'm posting a reply on vogue.com.au or something )

Quote Originally Posted by Loyal Rogue
    Then again.... there is the possibility that your work just sucks.

What? I'm just being honest.

I can assure you my work is good. Maybe even very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Benedetta
    If you feel that your profession is thankless and you have isolated your boss as the 'one to blame' for this feeling, then I think that your boss is a prick. It doesn't matter what profession it is - crap boss is crap (or at least a boss that's crap at recognising work efforts).

However, you need to elaborate on the first post as to what kind of 'thank you' you are after. A payrise? A certificate? More benefits? A pat on the back?

The next thing to come to mind is that not everyone is going to understand where you are coming from. That's just the way the world is. Not everyone is going to be equal in terms of how good they are at creating/spotting good design or reading body language etc

Perhaps you can try and 'speak' in your boss' language. For example, when designing a website, talk about how good design is important for various reasons...then tie that up with how much money they'll make in the next quarter and how good they will look as the boss. Or something.

/rant.

(reading this post, I feel like as if I'm posting a reply on vogue.com.au or something )

Thanks. My boss does not like artists. I have been told this by other people. And he said in a group meeting "I don't like artists" after he mocked a little fun at me for being "too artistic."

I get paid almost 60K a year. There is a state pension. I get great benefits. The job is 5 minutes away from my home. I get like 50 days off plus 16 days vacation. I get off the same days my kid gets off. So the job is great!

But my boss belittles me. He does not like me. And he puts people in charge over me who know nothing about what I do! But I get paid like 15 grand more than them.!!

It's just a matter of self respect. But it's a lot to walk away from. He was not going to hire me back the first year.But I fought it and won.

I should have added this part to begin with.
    Thanks. My boss does not like artists. I have been told this by other people. And he said in a group meeting "I don't like artists" after he mocked a little fun at me for being "too artistic."

I get paid almost 60K a year. There is a state pension. I get great benefits. The job is 5 minutes away from my home. I get like 50 days off plus 16 days vacation. I get off the same days my kid gets off. So the job is great!

But my boss belittles me. He does not like me. And he puts people in charge over me who know nothing about what I do! But I get paid like 15 grand more than them.!!

It's just a matter of self respect. But it's a lot to walk away from. He was not going to hire me back the first year.But I fought it and won.
    An Artist is online now Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
    Last edited by An Artist; 08-16-2008 at 10:04 AM.

If your boss is as much of a jerk as you claim he is then other people will see him the same way (whether or not he treats those people with the same comtempt as you).

Your job sounds sweet. There are many people out in the world who have badly paid, monotonous jobs and have bully bosses that insult them.

My advice is don't let your boss get to you. Be gracious when he belittles you or your work and be the bigger man. It is hard though. So hard I couldn't do it when it happened to me. But then again the job I used to have was rubbish anyway so it didn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by CVO Chris
    If your boss is as much of a jerk as you claim he is then other people will see him the same way (whether or not he treats those people with the same comtempt as you).

Your job sounds sweet. There are many people out in the world who have badly paid, monotonous jobs and have bully bosses that insult them.

My advice is don't let your boss get to you. Be gracious when he belittles you or your work and be the bigger man. It is hard though. So hard I couldn't do it when it happened to me. But then again the job I used to have was rubbish anyway so it didn't really matter.
    Your words ring true...
    And if the new woman he put "above me" not that there is any above, doesn't mind that I am making 15 grand more than her a year, than I shouldn't mind if "she is in charge of the website..." I mean, she really is not my boss.
    But he singled me out during this meeting saying he doesn't want any problems with me concerning her. Yet, she was the one who verbally accosted me, so much so that I was going to go to HR. However, I did not after she apologized.
    This place is real sleazy. It's probably the most sleazy place I have ever worked.

So..... what you're saying is.... you're a sleaze artist?

And you're only making $60k???

Where's Vamps when you need him?
    I was quite certain that sleaze artists make quite a bit more on average.
    Go figure.

So..... what you're saying is.... you're a sleaze artist?

And you're only making $60k???

Where's Vamps when you need him?
    I was quite certain that sleaze artists make quite a bit more on average.
    Go figure.
    Sigh, I don't really understand what you're talking about.
    But this is a serious discussion, and I would hope it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by An Artist
    Sigh, I don't really understand what you're talking about.
    But this is a serious discussion, and I would hope it stays that way.
    Perhaps this reveals part of your problem...

Serious discussion?
    Very well.

I find that in most cases people are the authors of their own misery.
    Your lack of a sense of humor combined with the somewhat pretentious tone of your posts over the years would seem to support the notion that your people skills, or lack thereof, are a large contributing factor to the way that others speak to and treat you.

The fact that your boss singled you out as a problem-maker in a public meeting is a huge red flag.

Does your boss constantly single out other people and treat them like a jerk, or does it always seem to be just you?

If the cause of the problem lied solely with your boss being "a jerk" then chances are that you and your coworkers would all be laughing, joking, and commiserating behind his back.
    Is this the case?
    If not then there is the very real possibility that your boss and coworkers are laughing and ridiculing a certain prima donna "artiste" behind his back...

Remember, life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you deal with it.

Btw, do you wear the beret to work or just put it on when you get home?

Perhaps this reveals part of your problem...

Serious discussion?
    Very well.

I find that in most cases people are the authors of their own misery.
    Your lack of a sense of humor combined with the somewhat pretentious tone of your posts over the years would seem to support the notion that your people skills, or lack thereof, are a large contributing factor to the way that others speak to and treat you.

The fact that your boss singled you out as a problem-maker in a public meeting is a huge red flag.

Does your boss constantly single out other people and treat them like a jerk, or does it always seem to be just you?

If the cause of the problem lied solely with your boss being "a jerk" then chances are that you and your coworkers would all be laughing, joking, and commiserating behind his back.
    Is this the case?
    If not then there is the very real possibility that your boss and coworkers are laughing and ridiculing a certain prima donna "artiste" behind his back...

Remember, life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you deal with it.

Btw, do you wear the beret to work or just put it on when you get home?
    Umm, I am both flattered and scared that you remember my other posts here throughout the years. I must admit you are the first person ever to accuse me of being "pretentious." LOL
    My boss singles out everyone in meetings. He loves his power and loves to let everyone know he is the alpha male.
    Sure, I have been a trouble maker. I may have been a "prima donna artiste" type. I have many faults. But I have been great with my co-workers for months now. We get along great! Sure, I make mistakes. But I do like people and I do like to get along. I hate conflict with people. And yes, my sense of humor is my strongest quality.
    As for my beret I wear it to bed.