A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Design: A Thankless Profession?

It seems the work I do as a designer is hardly ever appreciated.

...saying he doesn't want any problems with me concerning her

And he puts people in charge over me who know nothing about what I do!

Sure, I have been a trouble maker. I may have been a "prima donna artiste" type. I have many faults. But I have been great with my co-workers for months now
    Every statement above scares me on how you view yourself as a professional in an organization.

Let me ask you this. When a finance/accounting type correctly balances a financial statement, do they get pats on the back? How about when secretary answers the phone correctly? How about when a sales person makes a sale? How about when the groundskeeper mows the lawn or takes out the trash? Does even your boss get kudos for doing his job?

The employee should not and will not be given true accolades unless they've gone way above the call of duty.

Without knowing all the details, based on the statements you've made, I think truly you've gotten off to a bad start in the organization and may have done irreversible damage to your position and career through mistakes made with communication between co-workers and superiors.

You're either going to have to suck it up and somehow redeem your respect amongst others, or leave to another organization where you can make a fresh start by not making the mistakes you've made in this current position.

Your first start, regardless of the decision you make is to truly take some time to think about how YOU may have made the situation how it is, not on how others have made the situation how it is.

After reading this discussion I have to say that if your boss did not appreciate design, you would not be working there. The rest seems to be a personal problem between you and your boss as had been stated by others here.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Do you have an online portfolio/can you link to work you have done? I'm just curious.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by An Artist
    Umm, I am both flattered and scared that you remember my other posts here throughout the years. I must admit you are the first person ever to accuse me of being "pretentious." LOL
    Only somewhat pretentious in tone at times, especially when a client or recruiter dared to not like your work.
    I also remember your moaning getting on a few nerves at one point, your old avatar, and even your age... but don't worry, you're not on my stalker list.

Btw, how is your quest to become the next Hillman Curtis coming along?

I was going to mention the avatar as well when the beret was mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    Let me ask you this. When a finance/accounting type correctly balances a financial statement, do they get pats on the back? How about when secretary answers the phone correctly? How about when a sales person makes a sale? How about when the groundskeeper mows the lawn or takes out the trash? Does even your boss get kudos for doing his job?
    I agree 100%. Yes what you do is pretty kool but don't be so precious. It's a job just like everyone elses.

Start a fire. That always gets you recognition.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Quote Originally Posted by ViRGo_RK
    Start a fire. That always gets you recognition.
    That sorta didn't work for Bobcat Goldwaite. I'd say no to fire... yay to beer.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by An Artist
    Sigh, I don't really understand what you're talking about.
    But this is a serious discussion, and I would hope it stays that way.
    I'd say more than 50 percent of the problem is that you take yourself way too seriously.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Quit whining and do your job.

Any boss can appreciate that.

That's the tough lovin I come to see in the Coffee Lounge.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar

Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    It seems the work I do as a designer is hardly ever appreciated. This is especially true with the non artistic types. Sure, there are a few people who admire what I have done, those who understand that it takes talent to create the work I put forth. But all in all, my boss is a prick. He doesn't appreciate what I do.

Does anyone else experience this? I have you considered changing careers? If so, what to?
    Some very useful tips for you !!!
    1. You are as good as you think you are - so dont ever take people's comments seriously and to heart unless and until you approve of them.
    2. Bosses are there to point out mistakes - so just give them a lousy Draft - they point mistakes - fell happy about it - you do the change - Period.
    3. Never argue with the bosses/clients - if he thinks that color, layout is good - it is good. Just do it !!!
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.

i here that .... i dnt do the web stuff to often..but evein print ... u get A holes that assume award winnig design or design that speaks to everyone in a specific tone takes a matter of minutes to create(granted i have done some quicky stuff that i am prud of)... i take pride in everything i do and wen i have the bosses telling me the need GREAT quality work done yesterday.. it gets to me....

designers don't get appreciated.. we are like backroom staff....unheard..unseen...unappreciated.... but possibly some of the hardest workers...and the creative backbone...

thats why i say F*k em.... i will do the SH*tty logo that you want so much and keep my good sh*t for my freelance...cos as a designer you gotta keep hussling to get by and make a real name for URSELF!!!

artist, your job & boss sound a lot like a job i had back in 2005 where she used to call me out (and others) as well as trash some of my work, but on the flipside of that certain projects i did she did compliment me on how good it looked. so my question to you is - is your work really as good as you think it is or could it use a little (or a lot) of improvement? maybe you need to communicate with your boss to find out what it is he is looking for and maybe give you examples so you can use that as a reference.

i've gotten compliments from bosses and higher ups at just about every job i've had and i don't consider myself a genius or brilliant, in fact i see stuff online that i like better than my own work all the time. i get the "oh how did you do that?" and "that's cool!" comments from coworkers also but a majority of them aren't designers. it's a different ballgame when you're in an environment full of designers who are better than you are or have more experience and they compliment you.

my point is, just keep developing your skills and try and maintain. be thankful you're not in an agency environment where your job doesn't depend on client feedback or your boss' feedback or you may have been out of there a while ago.

out of curiosity what's your online portfolio link? if you don't feel comfortable posting it here send me a PM. surely An Artist is not without an online portfolio in 2008
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

If this thread is any kind of indication, artists are a dime a dozen. The law of averages suggests that you're, well, average. A great artist is more than great design. It's work ethic, people skills and a controlled ego. We all start out with stars in our eyes but eventually realize its a job. Be content with doing your best. You can't climb a ladder if you're stopping to play your horn.

While designers aren't the most important contribution to the world, there's something to be said for taking the time to learn a craft. That said, I don't care what laymen think anyway. The admiration of my peers is far more valuable. The value of a boss is a paycheck.

Im not even reading through all this...

but I agree, it IS a thankless profession in most part.

as is MOST IT work, IMHO.. over the years, were have been taken for granted, because the 'stuff' we provide is used daily.... most people dont care who, how or why.. only that they 'need'..and NOW!.

The more technology is considered 'normal', the more they take it for granted, and feel it is a RIGHT, not a privilege.

they think IT people are a dime a dozen, and in most part they are correct..

with everyone and their little brother throwing around images made with their bootleg/pirated version of Photoshop...or photoshop being thrown around in movies..etc.. they think everyone should know it..or it isnt wroth/valued much.

However, they dont know what it takes to be a professional with your skills, to meet deadlines, have the experience of knowing what it takes to meet the project requirements & deadlines...etc

and unfortunately, without any exposure, they (most) will continue to act as suck.

its a shame.

Take anyone of these jerk..and leave them without email or their phones..or whatever.. see how fast they crumble or come calling for help.

</spit>

i make pretty pictures, then i vote for myself. can i have a job?
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by whispers
    and unfortunately, without any exposure, they (most) will continue to act as suck.

Ignoring the rest of your self-righteous post, I just wanted to point out the best typo of the year.

and?

also 'self-righteous'? pffft...

youre laughable..

18 years old?..have you even had a real job yet?

self-righteous:
    confident of one's own righteousness, esp. when smugly moralistic and intolerant of the opinions and behavior of others.

and you see that 'where' again?