A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] [F8] Button within a movie within a button within a movie....so close!!

resolved [RESOLVED] [F8] Button within a movie within a button within a movie....so close!!

Although I feel this is probably quite complicated, I am very much a newb, so I am trying here. I am self taught, with the help of my good freind, Dr Google and the many generous persons who are willing to share their knowledge with us Newbs.
    This is what I want to be able to do:
    have an swf file that when you mouse over it, another image slides up from the bottom to almost cover it. This new image has a button on it, that when clicked, performs an action (using getURL).

This is how far I have got
    I have my swf file, and this other image slides up when mouse over. I have also tested the button action and it works.

This is my problem
    When the new image slides up and stops, all is good UNTIL I put my mouse over the button. Then the slide up image cycles very quickly through its animation constantly. If I bring my mouse onto to the image above the button and bring it down onto the button, and it starts cycling, and I slowly move my mouse downwards, the cycling only comes up as far as my mouse is so that as my mouse travels down the screen the new image comes up the screen less and less (probably a red herring but I thought I should mention it).
    I know it is not the actionscript in the button that does this because I have tried it with a button with no actionscript and it behaves the same.

This is how I got to there
    I have an instance on the stage of btnPage, which is a button.
    btnPage has in it an instance of Background_Image on the 'UP', and an instance of the same image on the 'OVER' with a movieclip as well called AnimPage, that starts below the stage and moves up via tweening. Now within AnimPage movie Clip I have three layers, the new image tweening up, an actions layer to get it to stop, and a third layer for the button.
    It all works perfectly until I add the button. The way I have added the button it on the last frame I have dragged a jpg from the library and then right clicked on it and converted it to a button.
    As soon as I do that the problem appears.

At 416KB the fla file is too big to upload (limit here is 300) so I will try to resize everything in the morning to upload it.
    I am hoping there is something glaringly obvious to you guru's out there that can be seen without the fla, but as I said I will upload it in the morning.
    I would be deeply, deleriously, joyed if anyone can help me with this.
    Cheers Al.

The fla file

Here is the fla file reduced in size. Again, thank you sooooo much to anyone who can help me out with this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The real problem emerges

OK, by the light of day and on further testing I have discovered that my problem is being caused by having a "button within a button".

If any kind soul out there could suggest a different way of doing what I am trying to achieve, I would be most hooptiously joyed.

:
    Can you post a MX2004 version of the fla?

MX2004 version

Tanx for your attention to this. MX2004 file attached

:
    Tried to keep it as close as possible to what you already had.
    See attached file...
    Last edited by dawsonk; 08-21-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Thumbs up Thanks Champ

Thank you so much dawsonk,
    Im having fun, and learning a lot, figuring out how you did it. I like the use of movies as opposed to buttons. This will help me greatly in my fledgling journey into flash.
    Unfortunately Ive been hit with a nasty case of scope creep. Each time I accomplish something, my boss says "thats awesome... now can we have it do this as well."
    Im now trying to make the second page go down again when the mouse leaves the stage.
    Ive spent the last 2 days using CS3 and trying to get my head around AS3 and finaly got it to work (MouseEvent:MOUSE_LEAVE) only to find that the application that it needs to sit in (a flip book) doesnt support AS3 and screws it up.
    So its back to the drawing board for me but your help has definately put me on the right track and I thank you greatly.
    My main schtick is database design using Access. I have come a long way over the years with the help of generous people like yourself in forums such as this and I am now a regular contributor to the same forums that used to help me.

I believe that the highest achievement of humanity is creativity
    And the second highest is the passing on of knowledge.
    (the third is probably ice cream so Im sending you a virtual double scoop of doublechoc)

Thanks again.

Talking One last favour?

I have been looking into the coding that you have put on the file and I think I understand it. I have tried to adapt it to my need but I just cant get it to work.

What I would LOVE is , how it is now, mouseover, Phones page comes up, mouse leaves, Phones page goes back down. I can see that if you leave the top part of the page (background image) that it goes back down, but I need it to act like that too, if the mouse is on the bottom part of the page (Phones page and it leaves the stage.

I have extended the animation to make it go back down and have tried to insert your code (modified a bit) into a few places to try to make it work, but am unable to. I have left all the code that I added in the places I added them (everywhere I could think of that would influence the Phones page). and it is attached. (I had to delete one of the Phones to make it small enough to post but I still have the original you sent me). I am not even sure if it is possible
    (I have tried using if( _xmouse > 320 || _ymouse > 430){gotoAndPlay(12);}
    (not bad for a newbie Eh?) but it is not responsive enough to pick up on the mouse if it is moved fast.

your code does however work, I just need it to work on the Phones page rollout as well, If that is possible.

Again, thank you so much for any time you can spare to look into this
    Last edited by Almeister9; 08-20-2008 at 11:54 PM.

:
    See attached file...
    Last edited by dawsonk; 09-03-2008 at 02:24 PM.

Thumbs up Well and Truly RESOLVED

Sir (non gender specific), You are a gentleman (or lady) and a scholar and I thank you deeply. I am off to the book shop today to buy a book on Actionscript programming. You have given me the head start that I needed and my goal is to become knowledgable enough to be able to help others in need.
    Again, thank you.