A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: encoding/formating question

encoding/formating question

after an afternoon of searching the web and searching a bit on this forum, here is my situation:

I have a video in full frame, DV format (basically straight from the camera, into the PC, to a disc, no compression, formatting etc).

I have to get this into an ED formatted FLV file that uses the h.264 video codec and AAC audio codec. The Flash video encoder for Flash 8 Pro only has the two formats for video of sorensen and the on2pv. Neither of which I think will do what I need.

Will flash cs3's video encoder do this? Or do I need to get software such as premier pro or some other video/editing software to output the FLV file meeting these requirements.

Oh, and we will not be hosting, streaming or doing anything with the files, it is going to a third party that will be doing this, and this is the format they requested:

Enhanced Definition (EDTV) – 480p [PREFERRED]
    Resolution: 720x480
    Frame Rate: 30 fps
    Video Codec: H.264
    Audio Codec: AAC (Sample rate: 44.1kHz; Bitrate: 128 kbps)
    Data Rate: 1,000 kbits/sec
    File Type: FLV

or

High Definition (HDTV) – 720p
    Resolution: 1280x720
    Frame Rate: 24 fps
    Video Codec: H.264
    Audio Codec: AAC (Sample rate: 44.1kHz; Bitrate: 128 kbps)
    Data Rate: 2,500 kbits/sec
    File Type: FLV

I just am not sure what software I need to encode the raw video to these specs - my pinnacle doesn't export using these codecs, nor does the flash video encoder.....

this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Video reckons that Flash Player 9 v3 supports mpeg4 video. This means that you can encode to mp4 and Flash player will play it...as long as the intender user has the correct version...and a machine with a graphics card .

I can tell you that you won't be able to encode to FLV with the codecs that you want. You can pick up a free trial of tmpegenc encoder which will encode to the formats you want from http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/te4xp.html

Hope this helps.
    Dan

Thanks Dan. The requirements were put forth by a third-party we are working with - I know the files could be encoded to those specs using the Flash Media Server or something like that, but didn't think they could be encoded straight to an FLV file that way.

Next question - I have the video in an MP4 format with the trial version of the TMPGEnc, my question is will the Flash Media Server, if being used by the third party we are working with, convert it to a streaming FLV then? I know I had read that the media server transcodes to this somewhere??

I'm not sure that it will transcode the video - but that's just a gut instinct. AS long as the end users have Flash player 9.1.2.3 (or whatever revision it is) they should be able to watch the mp4 AS IF it was a flv.

Dan