A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Illustrator vr's Flash?

Illustrator vr's Flash?

Hi first I wanted to introduce my self and explain some of my problems with flash. I feel kinda down that Im so lazy and have had flash on my computer for the past 5 years and still just know basic flash skills or intermediate I could say. Over the past years I never really pushed my self to learn but I have learned little here and there gradually just when I was bored [edited out by mod]** and felt creative and every once in awhile watching some CartoonSmart.com tutorials. Any one else had flash as long as me and still not so good in flash? Just curious if im the only one out there. Ive noticed I usually just use flash to trace my drawings or my friends drawings and give a little life to them. Make them do walk cycles and look cute in front of children like backgrounds I draw. I run into the problem when Im trying to animate my characters (I know how to do it) and after so many frames I get bored and just decide to leave my animation unfinished or just leave it as vector art. After doing this for so long I wondered if Illustrator would be a good option for me since I think its used mainly for just vector based art. So I opened it up today and sorta of got discouraged as its a whole new world to me and I really find flash a very easy and powerful vector art program and love the way you can manipulate shapes and use lines and layers and the colors to get just about what ever it is your trying to make. What's the main difference between Illustrator and Flash for doing just non animated art? Should I try learning or should I just stick with Flash? Usually when I try to animate my flash I get bored and never finish once Im like into 10 seconds of animation... Anyone else suffer the same problem and how do you cope with it and actually finish it? Any tips? Anyways its my goal to at least make a few cartoons in flash before I die and one thing Im not so sure how to do is make my characters talk.. lip sync em etc... any one have any good links which help on making my characters talk with real voices? Anyways im 2greencats and very happy to be apart of this community nice to meet you all.

Peace n love

-2greencats
    Last edited by whispers; 08-22-2008 at 12:02 PM.

1.) this is a PG-13 forum, so you post has been edited to be compliant.. talk of that again and you'll be banned.

2.) Illustrator has a way bigger tool box for vector creation, and can do MANY things.. pretty much the standard for vector art creation...

3.) none is going to really be able to help you if you arent motivated to learn and do stuff..

we all had to start somewhere.. and everyone has been frustrated Im sure. We've all quit..but the key is we've all come back and kept at it. until it 'clicked'

Well alright then... Im not really complaining... just wanted to post some stuff about how im having some trouble... but im definitely not complaining and was just seeing for some tips who had some similar problems and how they get to finishing things. Sorry I didn't realize I posted anything thing that bad. Thanks for your view on illustrator i guess ill play around with it.

Its definitely a MORE robust than anything you will find in the Flash toolbox for creating graphics.

And with CS3 out.. I believe you can directly import form Illustrator? I think you can import from Photoshop now, keeping layer/effects in take..

Quote Originally Posted by whispers
    Its definitely a MORE robust than anything you will find in the Flash toolbox for creating graphics.

And with CS3 out.. I believe you can directly import form Illustrator? I think you can import from Photoshop now, keeping layer/effects in take..
    This is true of the CS3 products.

I've tried to create graphics in Flash but I use either Fireworks, Photoshop or Illustrator.
    The only thing I'll "draw" in Flash is text or very basic 2D shapes.
    “Let no machine defeat you because you are human. The human mind is a mix of complications, doubts and lunacy. Machines use logic therefore they are not fit to compete against us!!” Hidef1080 2008...... (mental patient)