A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Director of Technology?

Director of Technology?

I am wondering what it takes to become a Director of Technology for a school or company. I know a lot about technology but I don't show it. I'm wondering the steps I would need to take get get a coveted position such as this. My main skills today are artistic. But I know a lot more about how things work.

Be more artistic.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Usually, at an agency...you'd have to climb the ranks. Intern - Associate Developer - Developer - Senior Developer - Associate Director - Director

And usually, the prerequisites have nothing to do with "knowing how things work".

At that level, you're making the calls, and you're responsible.

Good luck with that.

i believe for corporate environments it's a VERY strong knowledge of the entire company's technological infrastructure.

Including but not limited to:
    -Networks (usually the #1 prerequisite)
    -Databases
    -Intranets
    -email systems
    -Security
    -websites
    -legal issues

However, it's not just the knowledge of the above, it's MANAGING every little aspect of each and every bit of it.

But at even more at a director level, you should also have a very strong working knowledge of accounting/finance, budgeting, purchasing, aquisitions, and hiring.

From my short personal experience in large corporate environments, if you're not a former networking/programming engineer, you're not really cut out to be a director of technology.