dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Xbox has just died, got the RROD :(

Running Plodding & Limping SpockBert's Avatar

My Xbox has just died, got the RROD :(

Yep, got them old red rings of death this morning, had the machine just under a year and am now wondering.

1. Take it back to the store I bought it from.

2. Do the Microsoft repair thing.

After calling the store they told me as I've had it more than 30 days, to send it to microsoft myself, that right?

I don't mind sending it to MS but I'm wondering is there a limit to the amount of times MS will fix the xBox for you? If its like 2 or 3 I don't wanna waste one by going straight to MS when perhaps the store should fix it this time.

Anyone else in the UK had the old RROD?

cheers!, gutted, wanted to play Halo all day, now I gotta do boring stuff like work

Had the same problem. I had to send it off myself, was told I got 1 year extended warranty. 3 months after I received it back the piece of crap started overheating again, no 3 red rings, but 2. Tried to sell it, worth $100 at the shops, no one will buy it on the markets, checked the warranty and I got nothing left.

yay Microsoft
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Official Vermont Photo Mod WannaBe_80z's Avatar
    Wrap it in a blanket or 2 and let it run for 15 minutes and let it overheat and then unwrap it and let it completely cool off. Then reboot.

Just happened to a friend and it worked like a charm.

There is a simple way that not many people know what this does and how it works. This procedure is 80% safe and can be instantly repaired without any modifications or power tools. Keep in mind that the repair is temporarily by a week to a month (may vary on how old your xbox is). When doing this procedure, keep a fire hydrant or a fire blanket near the xbox so that action may be taken. You must be thinking (screw this procedure) but trust me it will most likely not happen. This procedure does apply your xbox in getting extremely hot.

1. Turn on your xbox 360 and check to see if the xbox is still occuring with the 3 flashing red light error. If it doesn't this procedure is incorrect.

2. Turn off the xbox 360 and pull out all component cables, hard drive, ethernet, usb ports, or any other cables that are connected to your xbox 360, except the power cable. The power cable must be left plugged in your xbox

3. Find (as recommended) 3 towels, or as many blankets or any other kind of blanket or towel material you can gather.

4. Wrap the towels (3 or as many as you have) around your xbox 360 with the power cable still plugged in, and lay it down flat. Make sure the towels are wrapped in as tight as possible

5. Turn on the xbox 360 and leave it running for at least 15-20 minutes. I recommend at least 20 minutes exact. Keep a fire extinguisher or a fire blanket aside from the xbox (Just in case!) you never know what will happen. I assure that nothing will happen. The point is to get your xbox really hot and heated up.

6. After 20 minutes or 15 minutes, you can shut down the xbox 360 and take off the towels. You can also plug back the hard drive or any other cables connnected to your xbox. I reccomend leaving the xbox off for a while in since it may be extremely hot because you have just shutted it off. Wait for at least 5 more minutes for it to cool back down

7. You may now turn your xbox 360 back on and a guaranteed repair will occur. Your xbox will start working!

You may be wondering how the hell your xbox can be fixed just over stupid towels wrapped around your xbox. Basically there are component cables that are connected through the component cable from the inside of your xbox. When your xbox occurs with the 3 flashing red lights, that shows you a message that those components are disconnected from your xbox. These components are very weak and can disconnect very easily. When heating up the xbox, the components meld back together and reconnect, thus resulting in green lights.

There are side effects when doing this procedure. I might want to add that you should not ever! re try this procedure again on the same day after failing the first time. Even if you have done this once already, I recommend not doing it again, and simply sending it to microsoft. When this procedure is done, your xbox may have a higher pitched circulation in your xbox when closely listening to it. This will also occur especially if you turn on the xbox right after finishing the procedure, the xbox will make a very loud fan circulation so let it cool off for a while. This is basically a quick procedure in order for you to get back on your xbox without waiting any longer for repair. Some people may be impatient, or urgent to get back on their xbox, and that is why many people may use this procedure. This procedure is a completely new procedure, but has never failed if done correctly. The task is very simple, and I have done this myself, and was amazed!
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_to_fix...ing_red_ligths
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 08-26-2008 at 10:02 AM.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Send it back to MS. They send you a working xbox in a few weeks.

does anyone know if the current generation of xbox360's have this problem fixed.

at this point even if i had the money i dont know if id pull the trigger on getting a 360.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

My dad's xbox just got RROD. It's years old though. I had it when the xbox was first released so technically it's had quite a long run (all my other friends have either had RROD or disc read errors in multiple games and sent them back). Since I got my elite a few months ago, I'd really started to notice how loud the white boxes were and the back would be pretty hot after an hour or so.

2 of my friends also have elites, one of them got it a few days after release and it hasn't had any issues yet.
    I'm just about to arrange sending the other box back to microsoft right now.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2
    does anyone know if the current generation of xbox360's have this problem fixed.

at this point even if i had the money i dont know if id pull the trigger on getting a 360.
    Brought my 360 approx 2yrs ago and havn't had a problem.

*knocks on wood*

I had to send two 360's back, they were the original ones.
    Customer service was pretty good about it, they send you packing materials and they pay for the shipping. A couple weeks later you get a new Xbox.

I now have an Elite, and it's been fine, no problems. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the newer models, the only thing that annoys me about the 360 is how loud it is.

I would never recommend the heating method mentioned above, especially when you need a fire extingisher on hand because "you never know what can happen" and yet "I assure you nothing will happen". Besides, it says that only lasts for a couple weeks...when you'll have to send it back anyways for repair. Might as well get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by CVO Chris
    *knocks on wood*

Likes Pankakes
    send it to MS...they'll fix it and send it back after two weeks...I have never had those rings though...and my xbox is 2 and a half years old :P
    Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?

Some of my small projects!

Applied to send it back to MS. They've sent me an email with a label i must put on the package, complex instructions about a shipping commercial invoice, tax ids, vat numbers etc etc

what?

find my nearest UPS location...

er...excuse me, aren't you supposed to collect it from me?

I can't believe all this crap I'm supposed to do. They said don't send accesories, I'm even supposed to remove the HD, what about the big chunky power supply? I mean if my one's faulty how will they know if I don't send it?

I thought this would be simple, seems a right old pain in the ass!

So any good games for the PS3? I love me Halo but maybe i should jump ship

why would your power supply be faulty?

are you expecting a car from microsoft to come pick up your system? maybe you can call geeksquad and have them handle this
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I can't believe all this crap I'm supposed to do. They said don't send accesories, I'm even supposed to remove the HD, what about the big chunky power supply? I mean if my one's faulty how will they know if I don't send it?
    No way! They want you to remove the HD ALL BY YOURSELF Be careful, i'm sure something that complex is just a ploy from them to get you to break your warranty!

If the power supply lights up green when you turn your box on then your all set.

Considering buying a PS3 soley because of you being to retarded to take out a hard-drive (it's much harder for the PS3 ) is just as full of fail as the Mac adverts with the "customer" who jumped ship because he couldn't even turn the pc on.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Where's subby?

Official Vermont Photo Mod WannaBe_80z's Avatar
    Yeah seriously what does that guy even do anymore? Any updates from anyone will any cool new apps his crazy mind has done?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

AKA [ Paul Bainbridge] webdreamer's Avatar
    My Xbox got the RROD a couple of months ago.
    It was less than a year old so i took it back to the store and they gave me a number to contact.
    i phoned the number and they told me that someone(ups) will be out to pick in up in the next 7 days. i was also told not to include any attachments, cabeling etc.
    The xbox was picked up couple of days later.
    I was only a week waiting on it coming back.
    .: To me AS is like LEGO, Only for the big Kids :.
    - Site - Blog - Twitter - Linkedin
    bringmadeleinehome.com

are you expecting a car from microsoft to come pick up your system? maybe you can call geeksquad and have them handle this

lmao.

that is true. dude you live in the UK, you guys have all that VAT and other crap. Guess it's different there, they sent me shipping supplies and everything I needed, took me all of 3 minutes to get it packed up. You don't ship the power supply or harddrive because that's not whats causing the rrod.

Because I read somewhere a faulty power supply often causes problems, with some people even propping them up to give better ventilation and stop them overheating. If my power supply is faulty then getting a new/refurbed xbox won't do a thing, hence me asking whether it should be shipped along with the box.

I expect a machine that works, in the event it develops a fault, I want MS to send a helicopter to collect it and box it up themselves, I want a courtesy Xbox while my one's being repaired. I want my box repaired then helicoptered back to me and handed over on a silver platter by Bill Gates himself along with a cake decorated with "We at MS are very sorry for depriving you of Halo and royally ****ing up your day off spockbert". I want 500 for the emotional stress I've suffered and a months Xbox Live for free.

The customer is always right.

You got the number for geeksquad, cos I really don't fancy lugging that %$$ard heavy box on the tube for the UPS schmocks to pick up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SpockBert
    Because I read somewhere a faulty power supply often causes problems
    That is correct. When you call customer support, the first thing they ask you to do is check to see if it's the power supply that is causing the problems. If not, then you send in your xbox360 without any attachments.

If the power supply was causing the RROD, then i'm sure you'd just send that in.

That's what the EU gets for suing Microsoft

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]