A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: AS2 vs AS3??

AS2 vs AS3??

I am trying to force myself to learn AS3, but I want the appearance of the AS2 components (list, textarea, textinput). Aside from the aethetic difference, I think I can put up with the awful learning curve and lack of tutorials/information for AS3.

I have noticed a lot of scripts I have used or sites I visit use AS2. From basic flash scripts to full blown websites... I think I have yet to come across one coded in AS3.

Everyone keeps telling me AS3 is sooooo much better. As a 100% novice, I'd like to learn the "better, newer, more uptodate" code rather than learning AS2 and then later down the road learning AS3.

So two questions..

A.) Generally speaking, what is better about AS3 over AS2?
    B.) Can I use AS2-looking components in an AS3 script? This is really important because I absolutely despise the AS3 List component appearance.

>> A.) Generally speaking, what is better about AS3 over AS2?

AS2 is a fake programming language =) it's actually AS1 that mocks other more advanced languages =) And it lacks many necessary features like datatyping, RegExps, ByteArrays etc...

>> B.) Can I use AS2-looking components in an AS3 script? This is really important because I absolutely despise the AS3 List component appearance.

I've seen more than 10 different list components for AS3, most part of them may be styled / customized... And I'm sure there're much more. Which one didn't you like? =)

Sorry, it's just that this question is being asked at least once a week at any forum dedicated to AS. You may skim through the previous pages, sure, there will be more extended answers to your questions.

A. AS3 makes you a better, more efficient programmer. Its hard to point a finger at what exactly is better (aside from pointing out the obvious - better performance, true OOP, etc).

Force yourself to use it for a month and you'll never look back at AS2.

B. You can just reskin the component to look like AS2 Components. Personally I think the new ones are better looking but thats just personal taste.

lemon juice hurts your eyes florianvanthuyn's Avatar
    I don't know if this helps, but I used to swear by AS2, since AS3 seemed hard to learn and not that much better, but ever since I've started learning it at school, I seem to forget more and more about AS2.

When I try to edit my old sites, I find myself thinking in AS3 and not being able of switching back to AS2.

And looking back, it is indeed an improvement over AS2.

So buy yourself some good books about it and you'll get yourself going pretty damn fast
    Florian Vanthuyne

WAR AGAINST SOLVED THREADS
    mark yours as Resolved under Thread Tools!