A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Interactive flash map

Interactive flash map

Can anyone help me in this . I am designing interactive map, when user rollover on continent it zoom in to show detailed continent, when move the mouse out it gets back to show the world map.

am just using flash 8, no xml files or java script.

The question is : How can I make any country name appear upon moving the mouse over each country ? like the below example

http://www.ammap.com/examples/map_chart/

tnx in advance

your going to need one awfully big map image.. do you have that?

in the link it looks as if each 'continent.country is its own button.. or has a button of the same shape overlaying it.

also are you saying you want it to zoom in at the point you rollover something?..or to a certain center point of each continent.. I also suggest not using rollOver to zoom..but onPress or something..

Quote Originally Posted by whispers
    your going to need one awfully big map image.. do you have that?

in the link it looks as if each 'continent.country is its own button.. or has a button of the same shape overlaying it.

also are you saying you want it to zoom in at the point you rollover something?..or to a certain center point of each continent.. I also suggest not using rollOver to zoom..but onPress or something..
    Tnx for replying, actually what I did before in my test map, I placed inv butn on each continent mc with the same shape of it. on placing the mouse over the continent, it play the mc inside it and zoom in, and I should keep the mouse over it, caz once I move the mouse away, it turns back.

As for the zooming , I want it to zoom to the center of the screen....
    I attach another link similar to what I want to do...pls check the example over the specification table.

http://www.usflashmap.com/products/world_map/index.htm

as for the map pic, what do u mean by very big and why ?...as anything is obtainable on the net

If its vector..then the size shouldnt matter.. but if its a bitmap.. then it would have to be a high resolution image so you can 'zoom' in and see details of the area/map.. make sense?

anyways.. I checked out the link you provided.. when I click on a continent.. noting zooms for me.. just a pop-up with some text/data displayed.

so I guess Im lost as to what it is you want... as you say you have things 'working'?

is it a name you need help displaying?

is it the zoom? you say you have things working in the OVER state of your invisible buttons.. why not put a name in there?

Quote Originally Posted by whispers
    If its vector..then the size shouldnt matter.. but if its a bitmap.. then it would have to be a high resolution image so you can 'zoom' in and see details of the area/map.. make sense?

anyways.. I checked out the link you provided.. when I click on a continent.. noting zooms for me.. just a pop-up with some text/data displayed.

so I guess Im lost as to what it is you want... as you say you have things 'working'?

is it a name you need help displaying?

is it the zoom? you say you have things working in the OVER state of your invisible buttons.. why not put a name in there?

Well, seems am confusing you sorry about that, so let me orgainze this a little :

1-I attached my two source files so u see what I did so far...one of them working with the RollOver action, and the second is work on the OnPress action.
    2-just Africa and North America continents are interactive for now.
    3-in the Rollover map, I need help in making names appear when mouse move over every country inside the zoomed contienet.
    4- BUT in the OnPress map, I could not continue and stoped at just make continent zoom in, but I failed in the rest stages.

I guess you will undestrand me more when you see the source file.

Thanks for ur time, I really appreciate your support.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is great site for interactive maps:

http://www.flashden.net/item/as3-xml-map/14836

no reference links..

also seems to be a link to only your stuff?

funny
    Last edited by whispers; 09-27-2008 at 07:33 PM.