A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash CS3 exports video differently than Flash 8?

Nose Picker

Flash CS3 exports video differently than Flash 8?

I'm having trouble with exporting video with Flash CS3. Its seems like the method of conversion is different now. CS3 seems to be recording the video from playing the file - when I watch the video I see all the same slow downs and hickups I see in the SWF when there is a lot of activity.

I think, with v8, the software was transcoding one frame at a time, so there were no hiccups no matter what the activity. Anyone notice this too? Any solutions. I often make movies too complex because I expect it won't matter in the video, but that's not the case anymore.

The one and only
    I'm experiencing the exact same problem. I think you're right, it seems to encode as the movie plays (like some generic screen capture)- all the glitchyness i get while previewing appears exactly the same in the exported video. I wonder if a jpeg/gif sequence is the way to go, but i have a feeling it'll export it the same way - just ending up with a different format...
    insert dope looking flash footer here

Nose Picker
    I've also noticed just now that movie clips are played now, rather than static like they used to be - also pointing to a screen grab process. I know people have wanted to be able to have their MCs play in video, but not at the expense of performance.

I was very disappointed with CS3, I was expecting more video playback options such as mouseover reveal seekbars etc

stoo,
    you know you could just make them yourself?
    also there's an autohide skin option...

Dan

Autohide? How do you do this?

If you're using CS3 then all you have to do is open the component inspector with the flvplayback component selected, and change the skinAutoHide property from false to true.

I think you have to be publishing for AS2 and flash player 8+ in order for this to work though.

Dan

Cool, thanks loads, sounds easy!

The one and only
    in regards to the original topic...

i found that dropping the frame rate (to like 5 or 10 fps) and then speeding it up later (after movie is exported) seems to do the trick. I still get a small amount of chopiness at 10, but 5 seemed better. I just sped up the playback in quicktime to test things....
    insert dope looking flash footer here