A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Questionable colours

Question Questionable colours

ello

I'm in the process of redesigning my portfolio, and having carefully selected the tones and colours used am a little disheartened by how it looked when viewing on another monitor. I've used dark tones throughout and the greys are not supposed to be striking but should at least be visible!

I'd like to determin if this particular monitor had a poor set-up. Could you have a look at the following screenshot and tell me if any of the following are difficult to see:

the colours of the selected nav button 'Web'
    the grey of the content panels
    the grey horizontal gradient below the logo

they're not intended to stand out by any means but should be easily visible without squinting or waiting for your eyes to adjust!

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Close

Hi

The colours are close, but distinct from each other

The selected nav is distinguishable from the deselected nav and the gradient doesn't have a 'near black' fading into a 'near black' effect.

As an aside, I think your font choice works well in the body of the page.

Student
    what I first noticed are the typo and fonts - dont like that at all

you have 7 different font styles (chaos in my eyes)- many of them are screaming (like ads) because they are bold and have a thin kearning.

another thing that bugged me is the waste of space - the shot you provided uses almost 1/2 of the are for the menu and headline. Even using 1024*768 its still a 1/3 at least in the browser window.

this is just an example that with resizing some parts and merging elements you have way more space for your content: what matters most,- not your headline or logo!

and finally a test with less bold and agressive fonts - to perhaps better fit the term "clear" :

you initially asked about the colors,- have you thought about a light color theme? I do like also more dark themes but your term "clear" as something where I could imagine a light blue (crystal blue?) color theme.

Student
    oh and a good free font resource is:
    http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=...e=m&classt=pop

wow! thanks for the input

I'm a programmer foremost, my designs do tend to be a little cobbled together.

Totally agree regarding the logo font being too heavy, I will review soon.

With regards to the body and title text, I carefully picked the smallest size of body text which I thought clearly legable, since there is a lot of text on the site it needs to be easy to read, any smaller and certain character combinations became problematic (e.g. cl merging to look like d). The title font I chose as a strong contrast to the body text; I do think it is over used, but am short of ideas as to an alternative.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding colour scheme. In my mind 'clear' refers more to strong contrast, light on dark or dark on light for example, rather than any particular colour scheme.

Found your comment regarding the contact button amusing, I'd also noticed the similarity with the EU logo I think it stands out, it has a different style to everything else, but I think this feature justifies being visually seperated from the rest of the site.

great feedback render.