A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Metroid game feedback2

Talking Metroid game feedback2

I posted an earlier version of this game but i have spent a lot of time upgrading stuff. Controls:
    Arrows move
    A to shoot
    Z to jump
    S to aim up
    X to aim down
    down arrow crouches, press twice to morph into morph ball mode (use bombs wisely!!!)
    http://megaswf.com/view/270e6f2b6bc7...683e0eb92.html
    I know its pretty slow, but in my SA player it runs smooth as butta. i recommend turning the quality on low so you get the best result Feedback?

Loved the original and this is pretty cool too. I think the play control is feeling pretty good. Got the bomb jump in there I see

Stuff I would work on next if I were you:
    The jump response feels uneven - you start with a rapid boost upwards and then stall out. I would balance the begin and end of the jump to make a more fluid and single action.

Constrain the camera so it won't scroll into empty map data. (For each screen, add some kind of rectangle structure that stores the limits of the camera, when it's time to scroll, check against the limits) Do a fade in/out when you traverse between screens.

When in morph ball mode, you can still hit the aim buttons and jump to upright aiming positions. Ignore those buttons while in ball mode.

Start fleshing out hud artwork. I died when I got hit, so you must be recording health somewhere. Make it visible.

Keep up the good work!

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    There's a big purple number in the upper right which is your health... after all rachil0, this is a demo...

From what I'm seeing I like it, but I have a couple issues. I have a pretty good machine, and some of the larger rooms have some slowdown (losing between 8-10 fps). Consider possible ways to speed up the engine (using bitmapdata for the image of the walls, and just an array to keep track of it. Moving lots of movie clips == bad performance.)

The animations and movements feel jerky. I place the blame either on fps loss/gain or the fact that I'm trying to use ZA with my pinky/ring fingers which is very uncomfortable for me. I hope the final product will have an option to change the controls (the SNES cartridge needed this so bad...).

I hope I'm not criticizing too much, I remember when you posted your first demo I honestly thought it wasn't anything great (but not too bad either). It just happens that Super Metroid was my favorite SNES cartridge if not my most favorite video game... ever. I'll probably be a big critic.

The last thing I have to say is that I don't agree with your tiling. I rarely remember seeing a grid of tiles on the walls:

Crateria:

Brinstar:

Meridia:

Sunken Ship:

Norfair:

Lower Norfair:

Tourian:

Elevator Shaft:

I got off on such a tangent I forgot to say keep up the work on this engine... I would love to see another Metroid engine besides Metroid:Redesign.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Developer
    I'm quite impressed with this! Keep up the good work!
    now known as dVyper

Student
    its already pretty nice, but like you said the performance is atm. the weak spot.
    - I noticed that when shooting it drops dramaticly therefore I assume you put a onCLipEvent(enterFrame) on each projectile - you could put those on the main loop and rather use a for() loop to animate and collision check them - it will be much faster- because using multiple onEnterFrame events slows down the flash player alot.
    - Controls are not so nice on a non-US keyboard as the z for example in my case is switched with the y key.

The game is obviously working, but I can't make the character move. I've noticed this problem with other games and am guessing it's something mac related.

Student
    or WMODE

...yeah. For some reason in the browser it runs like poop but it runs great as a downloadable desktop game or something else like that. As for the tile design i guess i have to whip out my snes again and take notes as brokenfunction did with megaman vs metroid. If you want me to post the swf to get a lot better quality and what not you can ask. Just dont decompile it and take all the credit i did spending like 6-7 months on this demo . Sorry its not perfect i dont know how i would go and make it run faster. I built every tile as a group and there is no coding on the tiles themselves, its just a hittest for x and y on samus. I guess i could build everything in groups then break them all apart for the finished product, but then i would have to save my file as 2 different versions. Any recommendations or ya want the swf?

doItLikeThis
    Quick bug note, when you open a door and press the opposite direction button just when hero character enters another area, the character ends up at the top of the tiles.
    -Aditya