A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Seeking Advice For Digital Painting

Ich lerne jede Tag etwas Neues Evaman's Avatar

Seeking Advice For Digital Painting

For as long as I have been involved with arts; I have not contributed to a whole lot of digital painting. I feel it is time to become more serious into it since I have all these inspirations that I feel computers would be the best tool for eliminating the divine discontent.

I am used to original oil painting, but doing on a wacom pad, or mouse feels very different to me. I do not own a wacom pad, but I intend buying one at some point in time. And practicing after some time with a mouse is really bland and primitive to me.

I am also been indecisive about Corcel Painter X. I see that it is specifically for digital painting and seems to have a nice interface.

I am also an owner of Adobe Photoshop 7,CS2, and CS3, thus I figure I can always accomplish some ideas with those too. My point is that is Painter X worth the ownership, along with its custom pen?

I have a few sketches back home and one I did recently that I would like to put some color into like one of my other portraits. Plus, no more expenses on oil an physical brushes.

If anybody has suggestions otherwise, I will accept them. I am just really indecisive at times like this. If anybody knows of a very good digital painting tutorial for either photoshop or painter, I would appreciate it.

i did photoshop paint of a portrait awhile ago, without tut. i basically just dove into it. i must say it was a bit frustrated and time consuming at first. However, once u get a hang of it things will just keep rolling. in the end u will enjoy the result of your hard work. (show u what i did later, i was quite happy how it turned out actually)

i suppose it's not which program u choose, all can do what it should, but if u decide to use photoshop most of the tool i used for painting at that time were blur and smudge tools. (for shading skins)

Ich lerne jede Tag etwas Neues Evaman's Avatar
    I would like to see how you accomplished that piece you speak of.

Did you use a wacom pen of some sort, or a typical mouse?

From this chap I found online with a nice tutorial on how to make a good brush for painting said that smudge and blur tools complicate things. I seem to disagree, because on actual canvas with oil I smudge a lot with my hands and brush.

i also did a timelapse as .swf. (big file) this is the preview of it

i used mouse. basically just kept drawing one skin shade, blurred, and smudged on top of other skin layers.