A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Animations slow down frame rate?

Humble Flash Newbie

Animations slow down frame rate?

Hi!

I thought, since I had read it somewhere here, that animating mc's ought to cause a game to slow down more than static ones. Can you confirm that?

The reason I doubt it is that I recently made this tiny frame rate monitor (http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=776933)
    and I compared invading the screen with static baddies (moving around though) with animating baddies.

With a lot of accompanying code, fps started to drop around 35-40 baddies, in BOTH attempts. i.e. both when they were static and when they were animated....

So, what's your thoughts on that? Can I animate my mc's as much as I like without risking the fps to drop?

Student
    of course do timeline animations need additional CPU cycles to compute so if you make your animations to heavy e.g lots of layer 10/20+ with lots of alpha fading stuff then it might indeed slow down your movie alot.

But like always it depends on the details- are the animations low CPU consuming?, are the amount of objects to be animated just a few or a few thousand?....

there are a lot of tricks to tweak the performance like converting all frames to bitmaps, or using a sprite sheet and scrollRect, pre rendered graphics,... besides just animating in the Flash IDE

Humble Flash Newbie
    ok, thanx!