A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to get my 'localhost myadmin/php' online

How to get my 'localhost myadmin/php' online

Hi everyone it has been a while, good to be back.

Ok here is the deal, I have little knowledge on PHP and myadmin. But I have managed to build a flashsite that uses PHP and myadmin perfectly, but this is all local. I dont know where to begin to put everything online.

Is there like a button in myadmin that just uploads everything to my host. I have a webserver, and everything is good to go from that end.

Any pointers on what to do would be greatly appreciated

Cheeers, Tempesta

I'm not sure what you mean by myadmin. You might want to check the documentation for that. If you're talking about PHPMyAdmin (the database manipulation project) then NO there is no automatic 'upload' type button.

If you have a webserver online already, contact your hosting company that provides that server (or your sysadmin if you have one) and ask them.

I bet your hosting company has some kind of browser-based upload thing which will be a total pain OR you'll need to get an FTP client to upload the files.
    Write multiplayer games with FlashMOG 0.3.1
    Try the MyPlan Salary Calculator

Thanks for the reply

I have SmartFtp to upload the files to my server, and I have uploaded the PHPfiles. But they are based on the databases I have made in PHPMyAdmin (thank you). I just dont know how to get the databases online.

Do I have to make them in a PHPscript, and then run it on the server?

I a newbie.

YES. You are going to need to export the contents of your various tables to SQL or comma-separated text (CSV) format so that you can then import those tables into your webserver's database.

Depending on which version of PHPMyAdmin you have, it should let you export individual tables or entire databases into sql files. Once you are looking at your database in phpMyAdmin, look for an 'export' tab. click it and you should see options about what formats you can export to. if you select 'save as file' then it should let you save a text file somewhere on your hard drive.

Your hosting company should then provide some kind of admin tools for you to use. I'd be willing to bet they offer PHPMyAdmin in which case you can access it on the webserver and import the file you just saved in the previous step.

Thumbs up

I'm back, I really appreciate that you have taken the time to answer my questions sneaky imp. So since the last post, I've been working on the site, and done the occasional google search on my whole PHP mySQL case. So here is the deal.

I have the webserver, the .sql file I exported from PHPMyAdmin, and all the .php files.
    I don't know where to go from here.

quote : "Your hosting company should then provide some kind of admin tools for you to use". So I need to access some kind of tool on the server to import my databases.

Now I manipulate all the databases from flash and php, so I dont really need PHPMyAdmin, once they are online. I'm just looking for how to get them online. I know my server supports PHP and SQL-databases. Does this mean, I can run a simple php-script that says "create database", and it will be created on the server. Or do I have to configurate everything on the server, via some tool they have.

I'm sorry but this is hard for me to explain seeing as how I'm a newb when it comes to php and sql, so please bare with me.

thanks again

The basic idea here is that you need to get your website (php, flash, sql) up on your server. For the flash and PHP, you can just connect using FTP or something and upload the files to the right place. If you don't know how to do this, ask your hosting provider.

Getting the database set up on your new server is a bit different. Those files you exported using PHPMyAdmin should have all the SQL necessary to create your tables, but you first have to figure out how to access MySQL on the new server.

Ask your hosting provider: "I need to create a database on the server. How do I do it?" Chances are they will try to point you to some kind of user control panel which has links to browser-based database admin tools. Like I said in my post, they will probably offer phpMyAdmin.

This is really a question for your hosting provider. They're all different and should be able to help you set up a simple database.

Allright, great stuff! Thanks a bunch, this is my friends' server, that he rents. That's the reason I didn't want to annoy the hosts if it wasn't necisary.
    But now that I have a bit more understanding for how it's done, I'll contact the hosts.

I'll post any progress here for your amusement. Thanks