A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [CS3] Help with the outline of a game idea

[CS3] Help with the outline of a game idea

i want to make a game where you are a hacker and you do hacking jobs. Now should i make the hacking like real hacking or more fun. I was thinking of maybe a command line like system where you type commands. Or should it be totally nothing like hacking and use a point and click. In the game there are programs you can but that help you hack. Should there be i guess you would call them cut scenes through out? Should there be a story line? Any ideas to add to my outline to make it cool i accept all ideas.
    Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate,
    but that we are powerful beyond measure.

Talking

Cool Idea. My vote would be for mini-stories Like "Quests"(MMORPG Term Here) to complete and having a cut scene that becomes available when you finish that story. Also, as an interface, what if you have a code system, like you get little hints throughout on what the code will be for say, the CIA server. Also try maybe like a timer thingy, but make it like a tracer, showing the CIA trying to find you. Be creative with what will happen if they do find you. This sounds like a great Idea, I will be willing to help in the future.

Cheers,

XenElement
    In the process of designing a quirky little game engine called gulp. Check out it's progress below: @ my blog.

---

Check out my blog at XenElement.com

Student
    perhaps like system shock 2 or Bioshock

SS

BS

those are too non real i want to keep it close to real hacking.

I was thinking an interface but what kind i don't know yet maybe something like windows but cooler. I like the code idea XenElement had i may run with that. And i was going to have some kind of timer and you can get more time by buying better programs. I don't know if every job will have a cut scene maybe just main story line jobs.

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Yeah I agree with render, both good examples of entertaining hack systems. I think if its commands the learning curve might be a little big.
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

This is my basic design document for a game I was never going to make.
    There are a few ideas from some old 80's sci-fi short story I read. It outlines the basics of my hacking system and story.

Set in the future, humans live under the rule of an advanced alien species (ten foot high flying jelly fish of course). The whole planet is under the control of one giant centralized computer, controlling access to everything and everyone, that is.. except for the hackers.

The main character is one of very few 'free' people, and offers, what he considers, generally mundane hacking related services dealing with the central alien computer. Services such as; removing people from alien labor camp lists, granting travel permissions, and removing people entirely from the system.

During his work, the protagonist is tricked into 'connecting' with a humanoid alien robot agent, a massive hacking battle ensues, but the hacker is inevitably overcome by the speed of the robot.

The hacker is captured and forced to work for the aliens.
    From the inside the hacker is able to learn enough to bring the alien computer to its knees.

Computing/Hacking is done human-to-human and human-to-terminal, with the interface being directly through the retina.

Hacking in the game.

Hacking is done by writing, executing, and sending programs.
    A hack is comprised of executing defensive programs, sending attack programs, and writing new programs as the ability or need arises. Hacking varies greatly and player actions will need to accommodate the actions and responses of the AI.
    The player learns new programming techniques from hacking, like techniques used by the ai, or found on the terminals

A simple failed hack example would be...

::Timer at 2:00 counting down
    ::AI Stability %100
    Execute location.randomize
    ::Timer + 30 sec
    Recieving ac.virus.NancyPants (lvl 2 virus)
    ::System Stability 80%
    Execute def.BorderControl (lvl 2 firewall)
    ::System Stability 90%
    Upload ac.virus.FireWarrior (lvl 1 virus)
    ::AI Stability %90
    Execute location.randomize
    ::Timer + 30 sec
    Recieving ac.virus.Insensitive (lvl 16 virus)
    ::System Stability 0%
    ::System Crash
    ::Hardware Failure

That would be played out with drag and drop icons, with a sort of RTS element (where you have to write programs in the background, then put them either on your system or onto the AI's)

Originally it was going to be 3d fps, but I think it would work just as well in 2d flash. At least the hacking part anyway.

Going toward the timer Idea, I still think you should make it like, the amount of time till the CIA finds your computer... and have a screen showing like a yellow line tracing you. If you get this to work, then it'll be a great game.

Cheers,

XenElement
    In the process of designing a quirky little game engine called gulp. Check out it's progress below: @ my blog.

---

Check out my blog at XenElement.com

I think this game would be pretty funny if you have all the cheesy cliches of "hacking" from movies like cool 3D logos of military institutions on the screen and over the top error messages where the whole screen flashes in red and so on
    http://hatu.biz
    Portfolio & games

Perhaps there's something of use here:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/hacker

I never played it back in the day, but I'm sure it had large elements that were almost like a text adventure.

In terms of look and feel, Spooks is always nice ( Plus it's got some nice hacking games in there:
    http://www.spooksmi5.info/
    )

If you want to "emulate" your own made up os check out the stardock / windowblinds galleries, there's a wealth of inspiration there.

Squize.