dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finally a portfolio, what do you think?

finally a portfolio, what do you think?

I, like most, have gone through countless ideas for a site to display my work. I finally got one I can stand behind and say, "this is it." So, if you've seen it before, just keep it to yourself . Actually tell me, though it will break my heart. I'm sure it isn't that unique. It will move locations, I'm on a yahoo server for now. Please critique the whole thing, the layout, the functionallity, and the images on it if you'd like. Thank you all!

http://www.geocities.com/i8it2ys/
    http://code.mneilsworld.com/
    Text Effects | Bubbles | Dynamic Resize
    4 weeks , 20 papers ... thats 2 dollars .....Caassshhh!

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar
    Hi...

I really like this. I like the cartoony style. The only thing /i would like to see is a little more visual effects with the submenu's. You've got a nice looking background and the menu's alright, but then the sub menu's are just a little plain in my opinion.

Everything else I like, and you're work looks great too!

Oh, one other thing is (if you can afford it), to get your own domain, those geocities sites / ads are really off putting.

Good luck
    Jeff

madskool.wordpress.com brutfood's Avatar
    The parallax left right movement isn't smooth enough. If you rapidly move the mouse left or right - the scene doesn't slide smoothly enough in response. The parallax perspective thing you have is nice, but only noticeable if the movement is smooth.

But if you go to the "flash" section and then click on "Mouse_Move_Stage.swf", what happens inside the sample window is much better. It reacts smoothly to the mouse movement. If follows the mouse rather than jumping at it. That's what the scene should do, but make scrollSpeed higher for a slower reaction. (yes I looked at the code - I'm a programmer).

I don't think scene should stop moving when you select a menu item and it turns to night.

I wonder whether the scene would look better inside a frame. A dark border perhaps, maybe viewed as a cinema aspect ratio?

Personally, I don't like the way it collapses when you resize the browser window smaller.

But I'm not a graphics designer, so my opinion in these matters isn't worth much. I tried my best though - will you say something about my Air App? - everyone's ignoring it.
    AIR, ActionScript 3, Flex and Flash expert and freelance developer

Thanks both of you.

pointguard:
    I will get my own domain, I just loaded it on my geocities domain for now to make sure I got everything working. I just collapse the ads for now to see about what I'm looking at minus 16 px width at fullscreen.

I'll play with the menu a little bit more too. I wanted to keep everything pretty straightforward so I left the menu pretty plain. I even went so lazy as to use setRGB to color my buttons white when you click them . maybe too lazy . Off hand I'm thinking I'll make the now static buttons do the slide, and I'll give my portfolio btns some more pizzaz!

brutfood:

Got any, easy to implement, easing equations. I tried, I really did, to put some easing out of the movement on my background. I looked at the penner easing equations and just could not figure out a good way to impliment it. I will definitely give that a go again though.

I don't want anything about it to look choppy. I did my best to make sure it was fluid. One thing I'm doing differently with my site and the mouse_move_stage example is I'm using a Mouse listener as opposed to an onEnterFrame.

I notice in my example fla when I used the listener it got choppy, so that might help. I'd still really love some easing, and now I will definitely do it! I never thought about doing it widescreen with a box on top and bottom! I will give that a look because it sounds pretty awsome. Also, I stopped the movement when you view the portfolio because it was distracting my eyes from my work.

But, you've given me an idea to just make the movement much slower at night! Amazing, thank you. Was the popups on the flash part okay? I struggled with getting that to look right.

Lastly, what resolution did you guys view at? I built it for 1024x786, I've seen it at 800x600 to make sure it's okay, and I'm viewing it at 1280x1024. I did my best guessing to make sure it will look okay up to 1600 wide.

Thank you both! When I make these changes and more I will post back, please don't forget about me!

it looks good. and it definitely deservs its own domain.

I just think the thumb take a lot of time to load up

Thanks friezens. What is your connection speed? Any section in particular take a long time to load? I know the photography section is a little heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by mneil
    Thanks friezens. What is your connection speed? Any section in particular take a long time to load? I know the photography section is a little heavy.
    all the sections, I mean, they just take a bit, It could be faster, but nothing critical!

oh, and the flash section deserves better than just the names of the files. some thumbs or something like that would be nice as well.
    but over all I like it

Thank you very much!

I do plan on doing just that. Just the links for now, but if you click on them it loads the swf so you can see it, the first one and the graph one do not work. I messed up the paths when I uploaded, a small error for now, fixed on my local network. You also get a popup that I hope to put explanaitions or tutorials inside of later. it's html text from an xml file so it shouldn't be too hard to do later .

Thank you all!

Keep them coming.

madskool.wordpress.com brutfood's Avatar
    Been busy, sorry. I'm viewing it at 1024x768. You have an easing algorithm. The one in "Mouse_Move_Stage.swf". This bit of code takes your mouse position, and works out an eased position. But you only need to be bothered with the horizontal movement. Let's change it a little...

var smoothx:Number=0; // This is global

function scrollImage(x:Number):void {

const scrollspeed:Number=8; // or whatever;
    const scenewidth:Number=600; //or whatever;
    const mid:Number = scenewidth/2;

var speed:Number = Math.abs(x - mid)/scrollspeed;

if (x>mid) smoothx -= speed;
    else if(x<mid) smoothx += speed;

if (smoothx > scenewidth) smoothx = scenewidth;
    else if (smoothx < 0) smoothx = 0;
    }

(By the way, in your code, you had if(target._x <= maxX), and if(target._x>= 0), which didn't make sense to me. I thought it should be > and <).

(Are you using AS2 or 3? If it doesn't have const, use var.)

So, instead of putting the mousex position into your parallax code, call this function, and put smoothx in instead.
    AIR, ActionScript 3, Flex and Flash expert and freelance developer

Thanks brutfood. Unfortunately, but fortunately, I got the tweening taken care of. I just need to sit down away from the computer and write it out; helps me somehow. Here's what I came up with:
    PHP Code:
    for(i=1i<5i++){
            var 
    ground:MovieClip _level0['g'+i];
            var 
    clouds:MovieClip _level0['c'+i];

num 500-(i*75);

dist1 = ((Stage.width-num)-(_xmouse/(num/100))) - (ground._x);

dist2 = ((Stage.width-num)-(_xmouse/(num/100))) - (clouds._x);

//dist1 = (Stage.width - _xmouse) - (ground._x);
            //dist2 = (Stage.width - _xmouse) - (clouds._x);

ground._x += dist1/(i*3);

clouds._x += dist2/(i*3);
            if(
    ground._x <= ){

ground._x 0;
            }else if(
    ground._x >= Stage.width){

ground._x Stage.width;
            }
            if(
    clouds._x <= ){

clouds._x 0;
            }else if(
    clouds._x >= Stage.width){

clouds._x Stage.width;
            } 
    It was a little more involved because I have 8 separate mc's, 4 ground, 4 cloud, and had to get the one in the back to move not as far from left to right as the ones in front and have it stop easing sooner. The commented code was what I was using before, plus I didn't have the if's in there. I don't know that this is as clean but it worked!

I appreciate the help though, and I plan on taking what you've given me and seeing how it works!

AS2

Forgot I had that in the mouse move stage, Did that a while ago.

And, I usually use <= and >= because for some reason it makes me feel good, no other reason. I usually only use > or < if I need them. Don't know why?!

Again, Thank you for the help, input, and encouragement. I'm about to put up a new swf with some changes suggested soon as I finish quadroople checking my code.

Made some changes, actually I just changed the links to work in the flash section- 2 didn't, added a resume btn that doesn't work right now, and made the scrolling smoother as mentioned above. I also let it scroll during the night time and tried to make things smoother overall.

As for load times, they're the same. I may try compressing the images a little further but don't want to loose quality.

I messed with the menu but have found that I just like it. I don't want it to be too gaudy, and that's what I start getting when I get there. I might change the font, and maybe change the layout a bit on the menu but don't think I'll add anymore movement or crazy things.

Thank you all again!

http://www.geocities.com/i8it2ys

I hope you guys are still subscribed or someone will see this. I've changed the menu, but I don't know if it's for the better. I've kept the old one for backup but I'd like anyone to specifically critique that for me if you would please. It's definitely cute, and in style with the rest but I'm not real sure yet!

Oh, link hasn't changed: http://www.geocities.com/i8it2ys

Ich lerne jede Tag etwas Neues Evaman's Avatar
    Heh; when I look at the interface it reminds me of The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker's appearance of the 'load profile' screen. I really like that cel-shade style. The movement of the clouds was a good choice of technique in my opinion too.

My only rather negative criticism aside the hosting and what brutfood mentioned; I would prefer if instead when enlarging the photo that it layers of on-top of everything else instead of the hill interfering with the full view.

In general though, very nice.

Took me a minute to see what you're saying. What resolution are you viewing at? At 1280x1024 no images appear behind the hill. But, when reduced down to something smaller the hill can go in front of the full size image. Is that what you're referring to? I'm not sure how I might stop that. Maybe smaller images for a smaller resolution? I tried reducing the image as you shrink the stage but I started to get banding and that was no good. I intend everyone looking to have at least 1024x786.

Thank you for your help and any more you may give me.

That is the resolution that I am currently set to. Yeah it does that all the photos I try to enlarge. I want to see a nice clean view of the photo bare without any other distraction.

Hmm, okay. That is some great feedback evaman. I really thought I'd be safe at 1024x786 with my images only being 500px high. I took into account the browser, but didn't think about the land being there.

I will definitely make a second set of images to load if the users resolution is less than or at that resolution. I'll have to. Maybe only 250 px high or so. It won't be that much more work to do that, and I don't want anything to distract you from looking just as bad as you don't. Defeats my purpose.

What do you think about adding a fullscreen feature? I started that the other day but decided to leave it out. Maybe if I put it in the context menu and explain that in my intro that plays only the first time the viewer shows up. Or even on the home page I could put that in the text.

Or, maybe I'll just have that option for people under 1280 resolution. Wow, so many ideas!

Thank you.

WOW. I've reset my resolution to 1024x768 (I keep saying 786) and it is huge! I can see things I didn't even know where on my computer!

Oh, and now I see it, that damn hump in the land in front!
    Last edited by mneil; 09-27-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Wow, so many ideas!
    Yes that is how I feel much of the time. It drives me crazy especially when I am destitute of the knowledge on how to create my idea in Flash; and while I am learning how to do that I would say "I have an even better idea!". So my projects become so prolonged: (lol).

Oh, and now I see it, that damn hump in the land in front!
    Yes that daft thing was appearing the in the center of the view and scrolling through.

The idea of a full screen feature is something I would personally prefer since I use the feature in all my flash-portfolios.

Fortunately I know how to implement the ideas! I've got less of a lack of knowledge and ideas and more of a lack of decisions. I'd love to put every little feature in but then I second guess myself on what is necessary

I've been thinking of what my portfolio might look like for well over a year now, and I was able to just build it in about 2 days time as soon as I finally decided on what to do.

When I get more time I'll go back and make smaller versions of all my images and have them load if the resolutionY is less than 1024. I'll also add a fullscreen feature and make it accessible on my home page and in the context menu.

The main reason I didn't do fullscreen in the first place was because I didn't want a button sitting on the screen for it. But the menu and home page should make it plenty accessible for those who want/need it without being bothersome to those with higher resolutions who don't wish to bother with it.

Thank you so much for you help! I'll post back when I've made the changes so maybe I can get some more feedback on how it looks!

Thank you all again for all the help you guys have given me. I'm definitely close to finishing this. I have run into a small snag. I can't seem to get my fullscreen to work. Works fine locally. I set allowscriptaccess to samedomain, now to always, and still no luck. Maybe it's yahoo not allowing me to cover up their ads completely? Maybe that's too far fetched though....

Anyway, evaman and company, view it again. The images are smaller now if you have a resolutionY lower than 1024. Nothing gets in the way at 768. At 600 there isn't much I can do but maybe make another set of images. Honestly, the images are viewable that low but the button that goes to the top is over it and the hill just flys across the bottom a tad bit. The swf's in the flash section are hardly viewable.

But, i don't intend anyone looking at it at that resolution. If an employer is so cheap they've still got an old 14" or 15" crt sitting around they view most work on then I probably don't want the job anyway

Once again, thank you for anymore feedback I can get!

Oh, and any insight as to my fullscreen problem. I'm using fscommand still, maybe I'll try ExternalInterface.

It seems a lot better receiving just a little more of a clear view of the work than before.

Now are you mentioning that you will execute a fullscreen option; because I still think that would be nice some people who are interested into detail.