A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: .mov export is all jacked up

.mov export is all jacked up

Hi,

Can anyone give advice on how to get Flash to consistently export a .mov that does not have all kinds of glitches in graphics display? I am getting perfect .swf's, but need video.

I enabled bitmap caching in all movie clips and that seemed to help a bit--I got one good, glitch-free export. But now every time I go back and re-export the .mov, there are little hangups on the end of tweens, bits of graphics that get "stuck" on screen and remain until drawn over by the next MC to tween across the stage... stuff like that. I have tried all possible codecs, and changed every setting I could think of and still get the same glitchy export (with different glitches) every time. All except ONE time, when I was able to get one more clean export, but beyond that back to glitchy...

Can anyone offer any advice? I don't understand why Adobe would include this functionality if the results are this jacked up...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    :: scott ::

OK, so I finally found a reliable way to deal with this movie. I found a tech note at Adobe that said that high frame rates can cause unexpected behavior in the QT .mov export functionality currently in CS3. So the way I got around it was to change the frame rate to 12fps and export with no audio track to a length of twice real time. Then I exported only the audio track to a .mov at 24 fps. Then I used the "Edit > Add to Selection and Scale" command in Quicktime Pro to add the 12 fps video to the 24fps audio file and QT shrank it back down to its real duration at 24fps. Looks great.

I have a feeling if I had a faster machine, like a quad-core 2.8GHz or something, I might have gotten clean exports at 24fps, but my Intel dual-core 2.2 wasn't quite enough. Better results than my G5 dual 1.8, though, with which I couldn't even get a single clean export at 24fps.
    :: scott ::