A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syncing (again)

Unhappy Syncing (again)

Hi. About a month ago, I posted a topic here about having trouble keeping my sound in sync with my animation. I recently fixed that problem by recording a blank sound file and playing it whenever no one is talking. Even more recently, I found that when I export my movie, around the one minute mark, the sound gets out of sync. At first, it's barely noticeable, but gradually, it gets more and more out of sync. When I stopped watching the movie, the sound was playing roughly 3-4 seconds before it is supposed to. I added a preloader to no avail, and I noticed that when I watched each individual scene, and watch the movie in the workspace, the sound is perfectly in sync, but when I hit "Test Movie" the sound gets all messed up. I'm not sure if I have enough information here, but if anyone thinks they can help me, or even has an idea as to what the problem is, please reply.
    -The Animator

Muahahahahahaha!

i assume you're already doing this if you've looked here for help about this before, but the audio is set to 'stream' on the properties bar right? I can't see why you would need a blank sound file either? audio set to stream will drop frames of sound if the animation is using too much resource, theoretically, it's impossible to fall out of sync when set to stream. (you must want to punch me in the face for saying that) ahahah
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

Quote Originally Posted by EvolveDesigns
    i assume you're already doing this if you've looked here for help about this before, but the audio is set to 'stream' on the properties bar right? I can't see why you would need a blank sound file either? audio set to stream will drop frames of sound if the animation is using too much resource, theoretically, it's impossible to fall out of sync when set to stream. (you must want to punch me in the face for saying that) ahahah
    Yes, I already have all the sounds on Stream. Apparently, it's less impossible than you think for sounds to fall out of sync. (Rhyming not intended)
    -The Animator

Muahahahahahaha!

can u post an example fla which does this?
    the natural selection

can u post an example fla which does this?
    I'm not sure how. I'm a bit of an amateur.
    -The Animator
    EDIT: Also, I just tested it, and the problem isn't in the .FLA file.
    Last edited by The Animator; 09-26-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Muahahahahahaha!

click 'Go Advanced' at the bottom of this thread, then click 'Manage Attachments' at the bottom of the page. Click 'choose file' on the new popup window, then click upload. Now just submit reply as you normally would and voila! fla attached to the post.

I can guarantee that there's something else going on here... when set to stream, the audio is literally split up by the frame so the tiny bit of audio on frame 3045 only sits on that frame. this way audio can't go out of sync, but can become choppy and weird sounding on a computer not capable of pushing the amount of data in the swf file.

The only way I can think of for things to fall out of sync would be if you have your animation in a movieclip, then that movieclip on the timeline with the audio layer below. this mean the audio and animation are on different timeline which is a problem. If your sound layer and animation are sharing a timeline syncing should be perfect.

If you can figure out how to post the fla file you'll save yourself a wack of time..
    the natural selection

I think the .fla is too big to post here. I'll probably have more info on my movie tomorrow, but I can't get on anymore today.
    -The Animator
    PS: A useless piece of trivia: out of the 6 topics on different forums I've made about my sound problems, yours is the first response I've gotten.

Muahahahahahaha!

glad to help!
    the natural selection

OK, I'm back. I haven't figured out what's wrong yet, but here is some more information about my movie:
    • I tried messing with the Publish Settings, with no apparent effect,
    • The sound is in perfect sync until around frame 3518,
    • The frame rate is at 40 fps,
    • I do all my drawings in Corel Draw! and then paste them into flash, and
    • At the moment, I have 29 tweens in the library.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I don't know if this info will be very helpful. I'm unable to post the .FLA here, as previously stated, and as you can imagine, I'm getting pretty stressed out.
    -The Animator
    Last edited by The Animator; 09-28-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Muahahahahahaha!

here's a link to a site where you can temporarily host files, you could post your fla there, then post the link to download it here.
    http://rapidshare.com/

Nothing you listed should have an adverse affect. (if you go over 16000 frames in flash problems arise, i think it's 16000 objects in the library too)
    the natural selection

here's a link to a site where you can temporarily host files, you could post your fla there, then post the link to download it here.
    http://rapidshare.com/

Nothing you listed should have an adverse affect. (if you go over 16000 frames in flash problems arise, i think it's 16000 objects in the library too)
    Thank you for teh link. Since I was getting nowhere, I decided to more or less redo my animation . (It isn't that much of a problem, because I didn't get very far.)I'll be using a bunch of techniques that I read in a flash book I just got. I'll also keep the link handy, and if the problem arises again, I'll let you know.
    -The Animator
    EDIT: I just now started having the same problem I had earlier. I'm uploading the .FLA to the site. It'll take about a half-hour. I'll post the link then.
    Last edited by The Animator; 10-01-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Muahahahahahaha!

im sure it will be worth the hassle if it makes your animating easier in the future
    the natural selection

OK, here is the movie. Since I need to edit the graphics a bit before I can add the lip syncing, I just had the main image disappear for the length of the sound. Scene two is the one I'm having trouble with. please tell me what you think the problem is.
    PS: Not that it is relevant to the problem, but the movie is a parody of the horror movie "Cloverfield," so if you haven't seen the movie, you probably won't get the jokes. Feel free to watch what I've made so far, though.
    -The Animator
    Last edited by The Animator; 10-01-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Muahahahahahaha!

hehe cool, yup I've seen it. Downloading now
    the natural selection

hehe cool, yup I've seen it.
    Most excellent. I only have a few seconds, but I already have about 4 Cloverfield references (And a Portal reference.)
    -The Animator/Uber-Geek

Muahahahahahaha!

Ok, sorry for reviving and double posting, just wanted to make sure EvolveDesigns notices this. Here is the .FLA of my movie. As you can see, I worked on it quite a bit since I last uploaded it. I thought I fixed all the problems in September when I changed the sound export settings to "Speech." (It also improved the sound quality a lot.) So anyway, I figured that my troubles were over, when, to my surprise, the sounds were out of sync!!!() So, i figured that it was so minuscule that no one would notice, and then, just like last time, the sounds got more and more out of sync. (originally, I thought the problem was just with one sound file (the "static" sound) which is why that file isn't in the place it would normally be.) So, yeah, I need your help. If you can fix teh problem, then I will put your name in the credits or something. If not, I'll pick up a different hobby, such as knitting.
    -The Animator

Muahahahahahaha!

Ok I'm completely new to this forum but I'm have a syncing problem too with my audio. I have lessons on this stuff but it just doesn't seem to work. I have the audio on stream and my animation is 48 fps. My computer shouldn't be the problems because it's brand new and top of the line.

My animation is pretty simple, just starting to get the hang of using flash. It's a stick figure in a club dancing to music. The music plays in the very beginning and the dancing is off right away when i test the animation. PLEASE HELP ME!

Oh man, I completely forgot about this topic...
    Anyway, what you should do (at least this is what I did, and it worked for me) is go to Publish Settings, (under the File tab,) go to the Flash (.SWF) settings, click on Audio stream and Audio event, and change the compression from MP3 to ADPCM. Also, in the future, you should use a frame rate around 25 fps, because I learned the hard way that flash has a 16,000 frame limit.
    -The Animator

Muahahahahahaha!

Ok thanks for the reply but I made a new project and figured it out. But it was strange because I made the new one using stream and ran into no problems. Then I decided to add in something in the beginning and everything was off again. But after lots of messing around I made it work again. I went to the same area. I used stream and chose RAW at 22Khz Mono. Thanks a bunch for the advise about the frame limit. That would have been terrible finding that out I'm sure. I'm sure the lower frame rate makes the process faster but I see there could be limitations to animation (lake of fluidity). Anyways here's the end result of my first completed flash! Let me know what you think. Any advise for the future is more than welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9e5SlhJLfU

Side Note: I looked at your flash project you posted on this thread. How did you do the grain?

Few more questions I just thought of.
    1. Is that frame limit per scene or per project?
    2. I like your beginning labels (Nerdvana Studios, Good Robot, etc.) But just curious is all that artwork original? I liked yours so much I made my own "stamp" for the beginning of my flash videos too (but much more primitive).
    3. I'm looking for a free program to convert my SWF files to some sort of video file that doesn't put their own stamp on the entire video. Got any recommendations?