dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: General website layout...opinions?

General website layout...opinions?

Aside from being a teacher, I do a bit of web/graphic design on the side. It's not much, and I've published a few of my own websites in the past, but I've since gone without a real portfolio site for quite some time. I came up with this design recently, and granted it's only a mock layout I designed in PS, but it gives you an idea of what the site might look like. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this. As for me, I'm fairly happy with it, but I'm not sure I like the approach I'm taking. I'm wondering if it might be better to just base the site solely as a portfolio. For instance, I had in mind just making the main page similar in design, but showcasing all of my work (in scrollable thumbnail format), with a link to contact me, and a link for work skills/resume. I'm not sure I really want to reflect the image of a formal "business." Rather, maybe I should focus on showcasing just my work as a personal portfolio. What are your thoughts guys?

Anyways, here's the link to the image of the layout. I'm linking it, instead of embedding since it's quite large. Thanks for looking.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...een_simple.jpg

It's a nice, clean layout that can work. However, you have to take some things into consideration before going with that layout. What is your site about and who is your audience.

The layout feels like those templates you can buy online. While there is nothing necessarily wrong with that, you have to make sure that your layout will be able to accommodate your text and not just look like a container for your content. Good luck and I hope everything turns out to your liking.

Ryan Wilson
    Creative Director
    3rd Lounge Inc
    http://www.3rdlounge.com

I think it looks great! To resay what Ryan said, it's clean, and to the point. If you plan on doing business through the site then I don't see a problem with coming off as a business on the site.

The only thing I noticed what that in the text you talk about being a small business; making you appear like maybe multiple people with an office (Which you may be, I don't know *But really I do because you've already said its just you) and then farther down you say you'll only deal personally with "you".
    Then I think, who's you? Is you fivenineteen, and that's kind of weird to talk about a business like it's a third person type of deal; unless you're incorporated or something.

Also, what is fivenineteen. The name sounds cool, the symbol looks like nebraska chopped in fourths - makes sense - but what the heck is fivenineteen? There's just no tie in to the site....

And, depending on how you structure your portfolio/images page that layout can work with you. I don't see a problem with it at all. Have to see more pages. Your work looks good, I don't imagine it not working.

Does look a little templatish. It's the layout, the web 2.0, and the contact part at the bottom (just how it looks/spacing);

I can't think of that font off hand but I see it a lot on templates. Probably because it's a good font, just used a lot now.

Hope that helps some. If you wouldn't mind I've got a site up for check too, would you mind taking a look and commenting? If you do let me know your screen resolution, I'm dealing with that right now. Thanks.
    http://code.mneilsworld.com/
    Text Effects | Bubbles | Dynamic Resize
    4 weeks , 20 papers ... thats 2 dollars .....Caassshhh!